Let myself down

Jammydogg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to look at a job today for local village parish. Pollarding 3limes. Full of leaf right now, quite alot to them, job wants doing in oct time. Quoting agaist a decent long going firm. I just couldnt convince myself that i could get one tree down and done and processed in one day. Im quite confident and competant to have done the work but just not fast enough to keep the price down. Hence i didnt get it. Do all "newbie" climbers get this?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

As a ground dweller your reputation and quality of work will be the final deciding factor in the future. There are will be many bottom feeders to contend with over the years until you better hone your techniques and skill level. This last part takes time and patience. Remember, no one can pimp yourself or products you offer better than you. Except no substitute and move forward:thumbup1:.

easy-lift guy

Thanks for your input fellas, i feel alot happier now, there was no underhand tactics from the other firm, i just couldnt do the job quick enough to beat their quote, and i didnt want to work for cheap or rush the job. Guess im still in the learning my speed stages, but getting faster all the time. I need more climbing work though to enable this. Thanks alot again guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

Who was it mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The other one I'll be a little more candid about the details

I tink you meant "circumspect"

No, I did mean candid, just not yet!! Pity there's a no name & shame policy - it'll go to press I'm sure, maybe I'll just post the link and hope that doesn't transgress the forum rules!!

I see what you mean from the way I wrote it though!!

Aah, I'm not told what we get booked in.

Want me to slow down? :P

In fairness if we chuck a four man crew on it I can see how it's be tough to be competitive. Small crews or sole traders can beat bigger firms on certain stuff, whereas the bigger crews can be better set up for bigger jobs.

For what it's worth I can see how it could be frustrating.

Basically I think it was right you did not get the job... Sorry if that sounds harsh but as you said your self your inexperienced and not quick ... Most people work for at least 5 years as a lead climber in the harsh environment of commercial tree work before they have in my opinion the skills to be a competent climber.

Focus on these things it takes from my experience 5 years to get established and ten to get a very good reputation that can be destroyed over night!

Any way... Business is not easy unless you have very rich parents and are in the masons ;) even if you are the best climber.