Planning Portal and the dot

Gusman

I first registered with planning portal in 2008, it was a load of rubbish, so carried on with paper not that I do many applications.

Tried again last year much improved but just would not coupe with my computer! So printed out the forms and sent old school.

Did one just now, then realised what the problem was/is after all those £millions it could not handle a "." The humble dot is part of the file name generated by my Mac, I can delete it from my saved file but it adds it back on when I upload it!

Back to printing and stamps. Any thoughts on the dot?

Edited by Amelanchier
sw**ring

I first registered with planning portal in 2008, it was a load of rubbish, so carried on with paper not that I do many applications.

Tried again last year much improved but just would not coupe with my computer! So printed out the forms and sent old school.

Did one just now, then realised what the problem was/is after all those £millions it could not handle a "." The humble dot is part of the file name generated by my Mac, I can delete it from my saved file but it adds it back on when I upload it!

Hi there,

The Planning Portal 'people' have previously been present at AA events to encourage its use and answers queries.

Hence I suggest giving my colleague Simon Richmond at Head Office a call (tel. 01242 522152) and asking for their contact details as he coordinated their attendance.

If Polly / Tiff asks for your membership no. tell them I said to call via ARBTALK.

Hope you get it sorted, very annoying.

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by Amelanchier
consistency

You're talking about the file extension right? As in example.doc or example.pdf? That's native to all three main operating systems - it's not a special mac thing sorry. I upload files with extensions shown all the time so it's unlikely to be your problem. Extra full stops in a file name can be a problem on any OS (yes, that includes mac, they don't 'just work'.) though so try to avoid filenames like example.plan.pdf.

And whilst it is often the case that the uselessness of an Govt. IT system is directly proportional to the amount of public money spent on it, I also think it's unlikely to be the case that a website "couldn't cope" with your computer. You wouldn't say a book couldn't cope with its reader or that some music couldn't cope with you listening to it. (Well you wouldn't unless you owned a mac...) :P