Calling all Dalen owners.

Fair comment, 800t, so around 1100 cube, you need a big barn for that lot for sure. I have been at £125 inc VAT for 18 months for Ash + Syc, air dried down to about 10%.

A quick look online at two or three of my local competitors, the lowest is £80 a cube for KILN DRIED hardwood followed by another at £85 for seasoned and £100 for KD with free stacking if needed. No mention of VAT if charged being extra. The 85/100 guy is buying in cord, the other is a mix of arb waste and buy in.

At £60 a ton to buy in delivered thats about £45 per processed cube + VAT. By the time you take time, wear and tear etc, fuel etc into account it may be cheaper to buy it in from abroad in crates, certainly not a lot more expensive.

A

if you are doing 800t then that should be around 1600 m3.

how many staff are you paying.? if you are on your own with a bit of part time help then you should be able to go and buy the 50 grand posch set up.

125/m3 nice,, still a lot of 45 a bag folk around here.

Fair comment, 800t, so around 1100 cube, you need a big barn for that lot for sure. I have been at £125 inc VAT for 18 months for Ash + Syc, air dried down to about 10%.

A quick look online at two or three of my local competitors, the lowest is £80 a cube for KILN DRIED hardwood followed by another at £85 for seasoned and £100 for KD with free stacking if needed. No mention of VAT if charged being extra. The 85/100 guy is buying in cord, the other is a mix of arb waste and buy in.

At £60 a ton to buy in delivered thats about £45 per processed cube + VAT. By the time you take time, wear and tear etc, fuel etc into account it may be cheaper to buy it in from abroad in crates, certainly not a lot more expensive.

A

Hi mate can anyone tell how do store 800 ton of logs not cord but logs in a barn is 800 ton just one large plié of logs thanks Jon

Not 800t but have seen an operation outside Edinburgh stacking logs in ventilated bags inside a shed - stack 20 x 4 x 10 bags. Think they had 3 sheds on the go - certainly 2.

They did say they had some problems getting the middle of the stack to dry properly - my thoughts were that the stack was actually tootight and neat thus preventing air circulation through the stack.

Their system was that they filled the shed from one end and once seasoned started selling from the same end and backfilling immediately but leaving a clear gap between seasoned and green.

It was a tidy set up and no big machinery in site - moderate processor driven by an alpine tractor and a small telehandler for feeding the log deck and stacking full bags.

800t not impossible by any means but needs a big shed and some kind of order.

Cheers

mac

What make of processor have u Jon?

Hi R5 we just a large posch splitter as we only deal in large timber as low life's nick small stuff around thanks but still like to no how 800 ton of logs in a barn is going dry as there no way they will dry in a heap pie of 800 ton in one heap as there's no air thanks Jon

Not 800t but have seen an operation outside Edinburgh stacking logs in ventilated bags inside a shed - stack 20 x 4 x 10 bags. Think they had 3 sheds on the go - certainly 2.

They did say they had some problems getting the middle of the stack to dry properly - my thoughts were that the stack was actually tootight and neat thus preventing air circulation through the stack.

Their system was that they filled the shed from one end and once seasoned started selling from the same end and backfilling immediately but leaving a clear gap between seasoned and green.

It was a tidy set up and no big machinery in site - moderate processor driven by an alpine tractor and a small telehandler for feeding the log deck and stacking full bags.

800t not impossible by any means but needs a big shed and some kind of order.

Cheers

mac

Hi MAC you hit the Neil on the head mate no air and getting at logs in the middle of barn so the logs will go mouldy on but I'm told I no think about off out now to a £60k splitter or better with a new AUDI Q7 thanks all Jon

Edited by mendiplogs

Stack mine 3 high and dont put pallets between the courses. Thats high enough as they move when they dry. Get about 150 cube in my main shed and another 60 or so in a second shed.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Hi MAC you hit the Neil on the head mate no air and getting at logs in the middle of barn so the logs will go mouldy on but I'm told I no think about off out now to a £60k splitter or better with a new AUDI Q7 thanks all Jon

We'll Jon some one must of snapped wilsons hand off for that Dalen because it's not on there web site now:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I got a dalen 2052, processes 20 inch gnarly timber all the time, i sadly dont have nice straight wood so it gets tested. i load it with skidsteer and it just munches it up. No belts, just hydraulics. Simple and strong.