Calling all Dalen owners.

Jon you do bang on about Posch. Sure they're well made but come at heavy price.

My ten pence worth not owning either but having had a long hard look at processors for a couple of years.

Dalen was my second choice and that was because our baby tractor could not lift it to move around. They look very well put together and nice infeed that allows misshapen lengths to be fed in. Simple but in a good way. Watched the Posch demo at the APF 2 years ago and it appeared to only like gun barrel straight lengths and did not look very quick with a lot of fiddling around with logs in the splitting chamber.

I think Theocus on here runs a Dalen so might be worth giving him a PM

They were all using similar timber 2 years ago, perfectly straight, 150/200mm. The only one I saw using anything bigger was the big Bindenburger 500, that had a guy behind it with a chainsaw snipping off any dirty log ends !!.

I am currently minded that to justify such as machine you need to put big volumes through it. Cutting 30 - 40 cube a day is needed for long periods, so you need massive ( to me !!) sales and massive storage of the processed product. With the cost of cord increasing and the price of logs in the market (Certainly Wood excepted) seeming to be constant then I cant see that investing 30k into a processor and rack would pay unless you have volume or contracting work for it. I think that there will be a decent market for contractors as it will be more cost effective for people cutting perhaps 100 tons to get one of them in for two or three days rather than investing the money themselves unless they have it to spare.

The alternative of course is for Fuelwood/Marshall/Wilson etc to hire machines out by the week.

A

"They were all using similar timber 2 years ago, perfectly straight, 150/200mm. The only one I saw using anything bigger was the big Bindenburger 500, that had a guy behind it with a chainsaw snipping off any dirty log ends !!. "

Fair point :laugh1:

Think it was a video where I saw the dalen taking misshapen stuff.

My ten pence worth not owning either but having had a long hard look at processors for a couple of years.

Dalen was my second choice and that was because our baby tractor could not lift it to move around. They look very well put together and nice infeed that allows misshapen lengths to be fed in. Simple but in a good way. Watched the Posch demo at the APF 2 years ago and it appeared to only like gun barrel straight lengths and did not look very quick with a lot of fiddling around with logs in the splitting chamber.

HI WOOD i only bang on about as you say is you go into a yard and you see with your eyes as new other pro around wilson yard then that to me say a lot that people are going over to posch but like the dealer said to me for a large pro 15/16" plus it no good to put into it 6/8" stuff as you will better off with smaller pro i think posch are very well made it like all things in life if you like the one of the best then you have to pay for it but with a posch there very well made and hold there money very well but if you get a large pro like 16"plus theres one ebay a posch £50k you will need loads of cord and sale 2/3000 a year and no log dealer that 3500 ton plus and they run posch 16" and jappa small one you need top sale loads of timber mate to min of £30k plus thanks all the best with it jon

Sorry jon thats not the feed back i am getting they make good splitters but a lot of the larger producers are turning to Transaw or Dalen. I spoke with a lot of owners and Dalen keeps been highly spoken of.

Definately; transaw is awesome :thumbup1:

HI WOOD i only bang on about as you say is you go into a yard and you see with your eyes as new other pro around wilson yard then that to me say a lot that people are going over to posch but like the dealer said to me for a large pro 15/16" plus it no good to put into it 6/8" stuff as you will better off with smaller pro i think posch are very well made it like all things in life if you like the one of the best then you have to pay for it but with a posch there very well made and hold there money very well but if you get a large pro like 16"plus theres one ebay a posch £50k you will need loads of cord and sale 2/3000 a year and no log dealer that 3500 ton plus and they run posch 16" and jappa small one you need top sale loads of timber mate to min of £30k plus thanks all the best with it jon

Wilsons aren't the be all and end all Jon...

Definately; transaw is awesome :thumbup1:

Wilsons aren't the be all and end all Jon...

Hi TCD I no that mate but why are so many other pro being trade in for posch then can you tell me that then you do not see many posch come on the market for thanks Jon

JON go look on there site and see all the machines that are traded up every two years if a machine is still going strong. The first time round i bought a farmi and am working it to the limit. i looked at posch then and was put off buy attitude and strength of machine. If you want advice go seek out the guys that do 2000t plus and see how they got there. that's what i have done and dalen keeps coming up and transaw just limited on size with transaw. Not wanting to come across nasty jon but there processors are limited unless your buying in larch or birch.

They were all using similar timber 2 years ago, perfectly straight, 150/200mm. The only one I saw using anything bigger was the big Bindenburger 500, that had a guy behind it with a chainsaw snipping off any dirty log ends !!.

I am currently minded that to justify such as machine you need to put big volumes through it. Cutting 30 - 40 cube a day is needed for long periods, so you need massive ( to me !!) sales and massive storage of the processed product. With the cost of cord increasing and the price of logs in the market (Certainly Wood excepted) seeming to be constant then I cant see that investing 30k into a processor and rack would pay unless you have volume or contracting work for it. I think that there will be a decent market for contractors as it will be more cost effective for people cutting perhaps 100 tons to get one of them in for two or three days rather than investing the money themselves unless they have it to spare.

The alternative of course is for Fuelwood/Marshall/Wilson etc to hire machines out by the week.

A

THE market in my erea will take£130 a cube i hope to have stock of a 800t by august. All i want to concentrate on is selling firewood and if i am to do that it needs to be big or not at all. No more putting stuff off for me do it now or you may never do it.:001_smile:

JON go look on there site and see all the machines that are traded up every two years if a machine is still going strong. The first time round i bought a farmi and am working it to the limit. i looked at posch then and was put off buy attitude and strength of machine. If you want advice go seek out the guys that do 2000t plus and see how they got there. that's what i have done and dalen keeps coming up and transaw just limited on size with transaw. Not wanting to come across nasty jon but there processors are limited unless your buying in larch or birch.

Hi LGW there's chaps around here do over 3000 ton plus and there running posch I've seen large posch ash beech but they will cost you over £50k but if you do 2000ton plus then they pay for there but I'm not getting one any time soon with price of cord mate all the best in what you do Jon

HI LGW well I've been to wilson last week and there was as new dalen there it on there site to jappa loads of makes and it ok to get a large pro like a dealer said to me but you good size timber to use if the pro 15/18" as you no it no good on 6"/12" as you will better off on a small pro it not my money but you do have to think weres all the timber coming from then in the size of 12/18" thanks jon

What make do you use?

THE market in my erea will take£130 a cube i hope to have stock of a 800t by august. All i want to concentrate on is selling firewood and if i am to do that it needs to be big or not at all. No more putting stuff off for me do it now or you may never do it.:001_smile:

Fair comment, 800t, so around 1100 cube, you need a big barn for that lot for sure. I have been at £125 inc VAT for 18 months for Ash + Syc, air dried down to about 10%.

A quick look online at two or three of my local competitors, the lowest is £80 a cube for KILN DRIED hardwood followed by another at £85 for seasoned and £100 for KD with free stacking if needed. No mention of VAT if charged being extra. The 85/100 guy is buying in cord, the other is a mix of arb waste and buy in.

At £60 a ton to buy in delivered thats about £45 per processed cube + VAT. By the time you take time, wear and tear etc, fuel etc into account it may be cheaper to buy it in from abroad in crates, certainly not a lot more expensive.

A