Two ropes for SRWP?

Two bridges is key! So is two swivels. Greatly reduces tangles. I have two pantins as well as two ropes and anchors. Have to say the gear dealers should promote DRT like crazy.

Ok, so today I had to re-pollard a big Poplar. It was near enough 140ft to the top and 120ft to my TIP.

Two main lines would have definitely helped with stability, work position and confidence because it was windy, raining and a big, spready tree.

However, most of the trees I climb are probably 50-90ft total height often with congested crowns.

I understand the reasons for DRT but it would be too much hassle for my kind of work.

Happy to be corrected though.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so today I had to re-pollard a big Poplar. It was near enough 140ft to the top and 120ft to my TIP.

Two main lines would have definitely helped with stability, work position and confidence because it was windy, raining and a big, spready tree.

However, most of the trees I climb are probably 50-90ft total height often with congested crowns.

I understand the reasons for DRT but it would be too much hassle for my kind of work.

Sounds an epic tree there OMT, and looks like you saw the potential benefit of two ropes (lets not call it DRT! To confusing) not wanting to sound like a broken record but 2 separate tie in points and lifelines should not become a standard only something we should consider on a tree to tree basis.

I know other rope access work uses 2 ropes as fall protection, but these guys use shock absorbers and suitable harnesses, our harness are not designed to fall into the are work positioning harness not fall arrest harness with front and rear attachment.

I also believe that nothing should be compulsory. This is something I have found that makes me a better more productive and safer climber.

In the week long rope access courise I took, I didn't see any shock absorbers and while the harnesses were full body, they were pretty much the same as tree harnesses minus the floating bridges. I have heard how tree work and rope access are completely different, I did not find them that much different.

To me, I am a literalist and single means one and double means two. SRT and DRT covers all the bases for what I am doing. Sometimes while climbing SRT I will use a technique where I take a single line and half it giving me a 2:1 advantage. I might even take the single rope and set up a v rig or m rig. All single rope techniques. As is top roping in rock climbing and lead climbing. Double rope technique is when you utilize two ropes. That makes the most sense to me and since I climb both srt and drt, it helps me differentiate between the two techniques.

I have found myself in many situations where having a second TIP made me more securely positioned. I utilize it most often if I am removing a compromised tree and have another tree to tie in to. DRT is a really simple and versatile tool to have in the box. We work in a profession with myriad ways to skin myriad cats. It is just a matter of being proficient in as many techniques as possible, so you are ready to skin any cat any day. Sorry cat people.

As long as fool laws don't get passed that have no concept of my daily work, I will be happy

Sounds like you just cut down the tallest poplar In england Al. How do you feel about that ?:biggrin:

I have found myself in many situations where having a second TIP made me more securely positioned. I utilize it most often if I am removing a compromised tree and have another tree to tie in to. DRT is a really simple and versatile tool to have in the box. We work in a profession with myriad ways to skin myriad cats. It is just a matter of being proficient in as many techniques as possible, so you are ready to skin any cat any day. Sorry cat people.

As long as fool laws don't get passed that have no concept of my daily work, I will be happy

Exactly my thoughts, why be single minded.

We already have to many fools laws, let's hope common sense prevails.