Two ropes for SRWP?

I climb and work SRWP.

I can see the safety advantage of having two main lines however, it must be so slow.

I can imagine it slowing me down to the point where my daily income is reduced by 20%, of course I could be wrong.

I'm all for safety so if I'm wrong I'd like to know about it and I'll buy a Rope Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read the other thread on this subject, and it has again come up on my Instagram account after posting a video of my co climber not using a second tie in point during cutting, I can see the benefits in some instances of having 2 lines such as way out on a branch with no other tie in points around apart from the one that your on, but like in my video that branch was dead! Haha so two lines would be good. BUT and this is a big one, in his country anyway no one has the time or money on a job to let it take longer, this is what 2 lines would shorly do, just take too long, and probably more tiring after, I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I remember the first time climbing a tree with ropes, I thought this is going to take ages as I has free climbed as a kid and had done a few years of tree work by hanging on tight:)

If you can do the job, you can do it whatever way you have to, I've climbed with 3 lines before for a safety companies training video, yes it was a bit of a kifuffle but your brain learns quick and I soon got in the way of it and the work position was brilliant.

20% less turnover because of 1 rope!!

if you loose a rake you'll have to fold the business!!:)

So just to get this straight, climbing with two main ropes means having two main anchor points at the top of the tree.

As you move out and down through the canopy both ropes would have the same route therefore there is no advantage at all to work positioning.

So to achieve a work positioning advantage the two anchor points must be placed wide apart and one of the ropes has to have a different route through the tree, which means unclipping and clipping in at every branch that you pass and then again on the way back.

Forget what I said about earlier about 20% slower, it's gonna be 250% slower!

However, surely some of our more learned colleagues will be along soon to set us straight.

You just use your second line like you would your side strop working your way up the tree, when you get to the top, rope in as usual and work your way down, once you get the hang of it, you will know when setting another top anchor is beneficial.

If the trees hpot( highest point of trijectory):) is off centre and you know you have a big limb walk offside lower down, set another anchor, then you can steer your way down, it's a great feeling.

I set a golf net up between trees to catch stray balls, I had to attach it to the trees and then put eyes on it and fit the net to a tensioned top wire.

There was a point where I couldn't get to on the net, so I throw lined 2 trees about 100' apart and set my climbing lines, I just started at the base of 1, prussiked up and then worked my way across, when I was in the middle I just did the opposite and slackened and tightened.

Both anchor points were at diferent heights and the angles were a pain .

My hips were sore for about a week but that's part of the business plan of tree work imo.

Yea I have used two ropes when needed, for instances like you point out. I'm not against that at all, it's the big tree reductions or small come to think about it I can see it been fiddly, I guess since using SRT for all my climbing I just put a redirect in where I once might have used another rope, I dunno, I'm sure plenty will disagree with me haha

Yea I have used two ropes when needed, for instances like you point out. I'm not against that at all, it's the big tree reductions or small come to think about it I can see it been fiddly, I guess since using SRT for all my climbing I just put a redirect in where I once might have used another rope, I dunno, I'm sure plenty will disagree with me haha

Me too James so I can't see the advantage yet. Kevin Bingham needs to get a video up here.

I don't need much of an excuse to get a Rope Runner!:laugh1: