Building a Badger Sett

sean

As long as you got paid by the developer for building the set rather than the taxpayer then no problems but man exterminated the natural predator for the badger ie wolf/lynx so we should be responsible for controlling their numbers? much the same as deer? left for a few more years they will be worse than buzzards?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's good work, and pleasing to know it was part of the conditions, although large may not be the right description - I have been told that large sets can run to 100m+

You need to get the spade back out and keep digging!!

Blimey I never would of thought that 100m plus crikey

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

As long as you got paid by the developer for building the set rather than the taxpayer then no problems but man exterminated the natural predator for the badger ie wolf/lynx so we should be responsible for controlling their numbers? much the same as deer? left for a few more years they will be worse than buzzards?

mmm the Chinese conundrum... save a mans life & always be responsible for him...:001_smile:

Years ago I killed to eat, as I was taught & later on occasion because I could, for the pot that seems ok to me...not a pleasure, just what had to be done. Took pleasure in a good shot, minimal kicking & thrashing, that always seemed best to me.

But I don't understand the historical British preoccupation with killing every carnivore or omnivore. {such as fox,wild boar,Lynx,golden eagle,wild cat, wolf etc.}

Id be happier if we reintroduced such species, although of course with increasing lack of remote area ,woodlands etc that could be increasingly difficult.

Whats the problems with buzzards? they help to keep the rabbit population under control? Do you want to kill them as well as the badgers,foxs , lynx wolf etc?

Sure they eat a few pheasants, but the rich boys who fly in to shoot them , don't even take them away, round here , they just get dumped in a ditch to burn or rot. That is what seem wrong to me.

I know were an increasingly sadly overpopulated little island, but to me Id rather a little differentiation in species out there, Rather than just farm animals & humans.

But that's just how I see it.

Spiral

'don't even take them away, round here , they just get dumped in a ditch to burn or rot'.

Really? Does that really happen or just more lies peddled by the RSPCA/RSPB? I was under the impression that game dealers paid money for game?? Personally I think what you did was a complete waste of money. Taxpayers or developers. Should the developers been allowed to build on the site (assuming its green field?), well thats a different story!

'don't even take them away, round here , they just get dumped in a ditch to burn or rot'.

Really? Does that really happen or just more lies peddled by the RSPCA/RSPB? I was under the impression that game dealers paid money for game?? Personally I think what you did was a complete waste of money. Taxpayers or developers. Should the developers been allowed to build on the site (assuming its green field?), well thats a different story!

2 things....

One The information is from a fellow I know who is in charge of the beating on a local estate. He says the quantity shot against the actual demand , make them worthless when, in comparison to the blokes flown in by helicopter by major corporations, pay thousands to shoot them. {obviously a few get eaten, but not the hundreds shot at every shoot.}

Secondly, I am not the original poster... so have spent no money of mine or any one else's, I just thought what he had done was a nice change that the shoot them all approach favoured by some.

spiral

So wot about the widespread devestation badgers are doing to ground nesting birds, hedge hogs and bumble bee nests??

They was existing and new research coming out of the badger culling areas and other longer term study areas and have now proven a link to higher badger numbers= less hedgehogs. The hedgehog charities are scared to make a big deal out of it thou?? Seems the badger and the anti cull extremeist/terrorists associted with it are more important than hedgehogs which are rapidly declining

Anyone that actually works and lives in the country side can see the damage thse large animals cause.

In my opinion causing far more damage than foxes now, and a far more systematic hunter ie travels/hunts far more along straight lines hedges/fences the very place most conservation headlands are and where birds choose to nest.

I'm not 1 for exterminating any species BUT all species should be balanced, the sad fact is in todays countryside far to many top end predators (buzzards, red kites, badgers even pine martins in some areas) are raping the countryside, most prey species numbers are in free fall (waders, song birds or farmland birds).

These animals do not live on roadkill full time, did a 'ROGUE' badger not take a rare nest of eggs/birds on springwatch. ALL badgers will kill anything and everything they come across, takes a lot of protien to feed an animal of that size.

In almost every country in europe they shoot/hunt badgers and all there populations are far lower than the UK's

So wot about the widespread devestation badgers are doing to ground nesting birds, hedge hogs and bumble bee nests??

They was existing and new research coming out of the badger culling areas and other longer term study areas and have now proven a link to higher badger numbers= less hedgehogs. The hedgehog charities are scared to make a big deal out of it thou?? Seems the badger and the anti cull extremeist/terrorists associted with it are more important than hedgehogs which are rapidly declining

Anyone that actually works and lives in the country side can see the damage thse large animals cause.

In my opinion causing far more damage than foxes now, and a far more systematic hunter ie travels/hunts far more along straight lines hedges/fences the very place most conservation headlands are and where birds choose to nest.

I'm not 1 for exterminating any species BUT all species should be balanced, the sad fact is in todays countryside far to many top end predators (buzzards, red kites, badgers even pine martins in some areas) are raping the countryside, most prey species numbers are in free fall (waders, song birds or farmland birds).

These animals do not live on roadkill full time, did a 'ROGUE' badger not take a rare nest of eggs/birds on springwatch. ALL badgers will kill anything and everything they come across, takes a lot of protien to feed an animal of that size.

In almost every country in europe they shoot/hunt badgers and all there populations are far lower than the UK's

You forgot mankind. :001_smile: