Building a Badger Sett

sean

Classic! :lol:

Without the study & if you cant even remember where you read it , how do we know that you didn't misunderstand it or miss some relevant key words & just used it to support your belief? Or that it was just silly stuff funded by

Iliketokillitmakesmefeelhard.co.uk

Wales have been having great results with Bovine TB without killing badgers. In fact the number of cattle slaughtered due to bovine TB has nearly halved in just 4 years, from 11,671 in 2009 down to 6,102 in 2013.

This has been done by managing cattle not badgers.

The methods involved include.

•Annual testing of all cattle throughout Wales .

•Zero tolerance on overdue tests

•Movement restrictions

•DNA tagging of infected animals to ensure the correct animals are sent to slaughter

•Setting up Intensive Action Areas to advise farmers on bio-security and best practice to reduce disease spread and keep disease out of the herd.

The opposite approach used in England, based on badger slaughter in individual areas has not worked.

So it seems the way forward is educating farmers & stricter controls on cattle movement...etc. as above.

If badger setts were also tested & if infected they & the badgers based in it destroyed, it seems a very good job would have been done to help eradicate this disease.

Spiral

I think you will find the reason why "Wales has been having great results with Bovine TB without killing badgers", is more to do with the populace taking the law into their own hands, and the officials turning a blind eye, so they can trot out the statistics, and bury a very hot potato.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you will find the reason why "Wales has been having great results with Bovine TB without killing badgers", is more to do with the populace taking the law into their own hands, and the officials turning a blind eye, so they can trot out the statistics, and bury a very hot potato.

As a wise man once said to me what you think or imagine is not a factual information resource.

Spiral

Edited by spiral

As a wise man once said to me what you think or imagine is not a factual information resource.

Spiral

You can think what you like but when all eyes were on summerset and glouster last year ...... elsewhere badger numbers seem to be going down.

In Northants I have never seen as many Badgers as we now have, I have several active sets, one going back over 50 years that has been untouched in that time, some of the excavations which are now covered by trees planted in the mid 1950s are massive.

A friend of a friend farms south of Birmingham, he has regular TB outbreaks but only when he has badgers or DEER on his ground. He takes steps to control both. Personally I think deer are just an able carrier if not more so.

The grid earlier showing the infected rate of shot badgers was interesting, a far lower infection rate than I envisaged.

A

In Northants I have never seen as many Badgers as we now have, I have several active sets, one going back over 50 years that has been untouched in that time, some of the excavations which are now covered by trees planted in the mid 1950s are massive.

A friend of a friend farms south of Birmingham, he has regular TB outbreaks but only when he has badgers or DEER on his ground. He takes steps to control both. Personally I think deer are just an able carrier if not more so.

The grid earlier showing the infected rate of shot badgers was interesting, a far lower infection rate than I envisaged.

A

Lots of badgers here still,{North Devon.} don't se the enormous ones I used to 20 years ago though.

Some badgers carry TB, those infected clans should be destroyed, some deer do, logic says those infected herds, should be destroyed, Some cattle do, so really to my mind, those herds should be destroyed as well.

Only by across the board action against infected clans & herds of all species will TB be beaten.

spiral

• 1 month later...

Second phase....there is evidence that the badgers have at least found and entered the new sett. Have now fitted one way doors on all existing tunnels at the in use sett. Laid trails of peanuts to the new sett and chucked handfuls down the man made tunnels leading into the set. Old sett will now be monitored.:001_smile:

IMG_0262.jpg.8d31882e1dccbf9c5637970503eb2539.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg.f72f01880b5e473a68551a5a8d216e4b.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg.22810dd22a00a49b52f28ff2e4ac20c6.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg.11978bdf0d97aaeb3c045e63602bf6e3.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg.1dcdecb3130d93501b36232018e0a91c.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg.c83165aed87249d0c26fd7a28a484c16.jpg