Cleaning carabiner !DMM!No graphite powder?

Mr Oz

Hi everyone.When guys where checking my kit before 3ATC(climbing comp)they have noticed that non of my carabiners were locking as they should of done so i couldnt use them for comp:thumbdown:.My boss was there that day and we got told to get in touch with DMM to see if they were faulty bunch.

we just got a reply today and they said after an investigating and checking all parts of biners they found no fault with biners and graphite powder was stoping the gate cloesing properly:001_huh:they are going to repplace them for good will of gesture :thumbup1:so we have got told by DMM graphite powder was no good it.

so i wonder what are your thoughts and what do you guys use to clean carabiners and keep working as they should.thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you got a point there mate:thumbup1: sorry i forgat to mention that they were only geting stuck on side if you open them half and close them very slowly which i normally just open them fully or half and let it go if gate is closing nicely it was ok for me.ohh btw they only pass the LOLER couple of weeks before that but i got told that only appllys for that day:lol:

The gate on almost any carabiner will self lock if you...

just open them fully or half and let it go

What you need to do to really check it is functioning is to...

open them half and close them very slowly

... but then I guess you know that now :sneaky2:

If you 'check' nothing else on a day to day basis, check your carabiners - they really are the most likely thing to fail to function and let you down.

alas, if only there were such a thing as a screwgate..........

well even though i was checking them before every climb that wasnt somthing you would notice unless u know what you are looking for which in this case i ddnt know untill guys from 3atc noticed(loler inspectors) ofcourse thats not an excuse but this was a problem even DMM had to double check with us to see what was seen as a problem exacly anyway lesson learnt so any advice and tips pn how to clean them.:001_rolleyes:

you got a point there mate:thumbup1: sorry i forgat to mention that they were only geting stuck on side if you open them half and close them very slowly which i normally just open them fully or half and let it go if gate is closing nicely it was ok for me.ohh btw they only pass the LOLER couple of weeks before that but i got told that only appllys for that day:lol:

Fair one, hope it didn't sound "picky", wasn't meant that way. I'm a bit OCD about kit!

Fair one, hope it didn't sound "picky", wasn't meant that way. I'm a bit OCD about kit!

:thumbup:im open to any criticism mate so cheers.i bellive that geting other opinions is best way to find out whether what your are doing is the correct way or to see if any improvements or corrections are necesary :biggrin:thats why we are all here for to share knowledge,experience,information and some other stuff:lol:

:thumbup:im open to any criticism mate so cheers.i bellive that geting other opinions is best way to find out whether what your are doing is the correct way or to see if any improvements or corrections are necesary :biggrin:thats why we are all here for to share knowledge,experience,information and some other stuff:lol:

Spot on mate! Same here!!