buying in timber to process

clueless

Hi guys, sorry if this is something which is repeately asked

I am looking at going into firewood production semi-full time. I’m not going to ask if anyone thinks this is a good idea because I am still trying to make it add up in my own mind. (I welcome your thoughts though). What I have realised is that I don’t have enough seasoned logs in ‘stock’ to keep me going at the moment (well, come winter time anyway) before our other logs are seasoned enough. And conversely, I don’t want to pan the whole idea, just because I don’t have enough logs bagged and seasoned already.

How do I go about sourcing timber in the mean time? I notice a lot of people by it in by the wagon load to process themselves and this is the sort of this I want to look at doing.

Also Is it possible to buy in seasoned timber for processing?

I'm in south wales by the way if that makes a difference presumaby to haulage costs

I would appreciate any help and guidance you can give as I said before I am trying to make the figures stack up in my head before making any big moves and want to make sure I can get some decent saleable stuff in so that I don’t have to risk selling stuff that isn’t 100% and hence lose repeat business.

Thanks again

Are you using a processor? I guess if your buying it in the margins are going to be smaller hence probably the need for one to get it cut and sold in bulk?

I am doing something similar. I buy mine green from a few tree surgeons at £20 per ton and collect it straight off the job, and what i don't burn i sell. It gives me a small income over the winter when my groundworks business is slack.

we are looking to get a bigger processor at the moment as ours is too small (hakki pilke eagle) and we need something a bit more productive. looking at either a haki pilke 1x37 or a palax ks35 i think.

i can get stuff from tree surgeons, and we produce a fair bit ourselves but i'm specifically keen on sourcing by the wagon load in order to fully assess possible margins etc that can be made by bulk production

hi mate, i'm over in cardiff and doing the same

heres my experience... its very difficult/near impossible to get hardwood here at the moment

the bridgend area is very competitive as there are several other firewood merchants there

if you are buying in by the wagon load you need lots of space and something to handle it with too as well as a processer

and you will also pay more for processer size timber under 12"

i've spent 8 weeks so far trying to source hardwood and spoken to 12 people now, as far as i can work out the majority of hardwood is going to D&J fuels, Fernwoods and Certainly Wood and they are buying up everything

i use arb stuff but it is hard work and takes a long time

if you want to contact me by telephone then PM me for it, or look in yell pages and see if you can work out which one is me!!!!