Man dies after going through woodchipper

Steve Bullman

If you guys can't see the hypocrisy in shellin out 100 bucks a day to protect climbers that make mistakes in the form of an additional qualified worker on site, and not doing the same for groundies feedin WTC's?

Then it's self evident you value a climber's well being substantially more than groundies.

Which makes you guys wrong, IMO.

Jomoco

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds absolutely horrible, but at least I think we can take solace in the fact that he died rather quickly. Those are no joke at all. It is just a shame to have someone lose their life like that, such a senseless accident. Hope the family is doing ok in such a tragic time.

I think Chippers should have sensors in the hoppers and the thing that sets them off stopping the rollers should be attached to gloves, sleeves or bracelets of some kind.

The argument would be from folk that have had a scare wearing these items of clothing, but it's only scary as the rollers kept turning!

If the rollers has stopped like a chain break on a saw, it would of been reassuring!

Forage harvesters have metal detectors built into the rollers that stop them to save damage.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

If you guys can't see the hypocrisy in shellin out 100 bucks a day to protect climbers that make mistakes in the form of an additional qualified worker on site, and not doing the same for groundies feedin WTC's?

Then it's self evident you value a climber's well being substantially more than groundies.

Which makes you guys wrong, IMO.

Jomoco

What's wrong is that you don't understand the way things are this side of the pond and just aren't listening.

I think Chippers should have sensors in the hoppers and the thing that sets them off stopping the rollers should be attached to gloves, sleeves or bracelets of some kind.

The argument would be from folk that have had a scare wearing these items of clothing, but it's only scary as the rollers kept turning!

If the rollers has stopped like a chain break on a saw, it would of been reassuring!

Forage harvesters have metal detectors built into the rollers that stop them to save damage.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Perfecto! Great idea IMO.

Metal detector is all that is required, and then make sure chipper operators have metal impregnated gloves (the steel toecaps on the boots will sort out the other end). I think this is a very good idea!

Metal detector is all that is required, and then make sure chipper operators have metal impregnated gloves (the steel toecaps on the boots will sort out the other end). I think this is a very good idea!

One problem with very good idea. Nails screws and metal bits of material end up in trees over the years and this would reduce the amount of material fed into chipper, unless one could disable this feature until an accident because the feature was not reactivated. Nice try back to the drawing board.

easy-lift guy

One problem with very good idea. Nails screws and metal bits of material end up in trees over the years and this would reduce the amount of material fed into chipper, unless one could disable this feature until an accident because the feature was not reactivated. Nice try back to the drawing board.

easy-lift guy

Think the metal hopper, feed rollers, oh and the metal blades might also be a bit of a stumbling block :biggrin:

What's wrong is that you don't understand the way things are this side of the pond and just aren't listening.

So in essence you're sayin there aren't any WTC's in the UK?

Vermeer UK

Or you're sayin your certified chipper blokes don't make the same mistakes us silly yanks do?

Jomoco