Running Log Splitter off Processor

arboriculturist

I have not heard of Running a tractor Log Splitter off a Processor hydraulics, but that is not to say that one of you out has not and indeed may have all the answers!

The standard hydraulics on our tractor have a really low flow rate about 25l/min, the Splitter requires approx. 40l/min. Needless to say it cycles at a snails pace of about 15 seconds.

The processor oil pump has a capacity of 56/118 l/min @480rpm. The tractor is running for the Processor so if it could run the splitter in tandam that would be perfection.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You probably wont be able to run it in tandem, the pump on the processor will be matched to its needs so putting extra demands on it will mean that neither device will work properly

What you will be able to do is use the processors pump to run the splitter

Your splitter should have an open centre control valve, you will be able to tap into the supply from the pump and the return on the processor.

When tapping into the pressure be aware that you could well be doing away with the pressure relief valve on the processor so either fit a replacement or take care not to run it without piping the splitter in first or damage could occur.

Ah, thanks for the speedy reply.

I was planning to fit a proportional control to the splitter hydraulic supply, which would meter the flow rate to it and as a result to control the cycle time of the splitter knife. How does that sound?

Would you suggest then that the Processor has little in spare capacity to run the small splitter in tandem with it?

A proportional control isn't the tool for that job, if you were going to do that you would need a flow divider with the spare capacity piped back to the return. Its not just about the speed of the cycle though, you could make the cycle fast as you like but you will finish up boiling the oil. A bit of finesse will be needed.

I wouldn't have thought the processor has enough spare to run a second machine that's as greedy as a splitter.

You could investigate the pump on the splitter with a view to either fit a tandem or probably replace the existing with a tandem pump, that way you have one supply for the processor and another for the "auxiliary" circuit.

If you do add capacity watch out for heat build up, the processor should be fine but extra heat from the auxiliary circuit might need dealing with.

Sorry missed you post an hour ago. I understand the Tandem pump concept. So a 2nd pump within the processor housing or bolted to the tractor with a seperate oil cooling resevoir built into the base of the splitter, say 25 litres min. Plenty of room for that. Just need the solution to controlling the flow rate from say - the pump bolted to the tractor as tractor has to run at 480rpm for processor.

When I ran an independent splitter off the MF135 tractor hyd while at the same time running a processor when the splitter got to a tough bit it could not get through it lifted the processor into the air instead. Did not do the leg under the splitter chute on the processor any good, bent it so had to straighten it.

There is a facility to isolate the rear lift hyd and so run a MF80 loader with a hyd bucket tilt but dont know what that would do to the splitter oil flow.

A

Am I being a bit thick here when I ask why you would want to run a splitter off a processor which already has a built in splitter?

If the built in pump for your tractor hydraulics is too low flow why not just buy a pto pump?

Cheers

mac

If you process Arb waste, you quickly learn you need a dedicated splitter to run alongside your processor - 5 ft rings won't fit in our Processor!

Thanks for the reply.