Husqvarna xp550 gassing up

Simonsnr

Hey all....been a loooooong time since I posted on here!

I bought a husky xp550 less than a year ago, beautiful, powerful light weight little saw, but it's always been plagued with starting issues when it's hot. I've taken it back to my supplier (Stanton hopes) and after having it for five weeks they told me nothing was wrong with it. I'd already replaced the fuel filter and spark plug, so that's not the issue......

Might seem a stupid question? ....but the fuel tank gets severely gassed up, shouldn't there be a breather to stop this happening ...undoing the cap every two minutes to release the pressure is becoming a pain, but am 'guessing' this is the issue? Any ideas?

There is a hot start kit for these saws which includes a new tank breather done loads under warranty and regaping the coil is part of this . There is also constant software updates for the carbs on these saws as well as the 560xp.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk mobile app

There is a hot start kit for these saws which includes a new tank breather done loads under warranty and regaping the coil is part of this . There is also constant software updates for the carbs on these saws as well as the 560xp.

Is there any way to tell if our saws need the hot start kit fitting?... by serial number perhaps? Mines a 2013 550xpg and also gets a pressurised tank in hot weather.

Also, what do you mean by constant software updates? Cheers, steve

Does the carb simply adjust fuel in relation to revs or are these autotune things more sophisticated?

Huskys were infamous for vapour locking in the 70s and 80s

When will Stihls fuel injected models reach the market?

As long as the saw starts hot the kit is not needed you will know if it needs it, mine nearly got put under the tractor wheel for not starting.

The carb will alter it's setting using a flywheel sensor to measure rpm a temp sensor and also a throttle position sensor. When plug into a computer it tells you loads of info like whom purchased the saw (if entered at time of purchase) pnc no, serial number, carb number, coil info, software version, hours used with a breakdown of what rpm range, number of starts there's loads more as well

I have a 560XP & had same hot starting problems, finally got it exchanged for a new one under warranty an starts fine now. Here's a tip you may know already & apologies in advance if so but no harm repeating:

On a hot start:

1. Pull choke up into choke position then let it off choke again straight away.

2. Then Start as normal hot start i.e. chain brake on, decompression in, pull cord to start, blip throttle to normal.when started.

Is there any way to tell if our saws need the hot start kit fitting?... by serial number perhaps? Mines a 2013 550xpg and also gets a pressurised tank in hot weather.

Going by what my dealer said (so may or may not be correct across the board) anything newer than 18 months or so should have already had it fitted.

The kit has a few bits, including a green (I think) bung to go over an existing hole - I've still not fitted mine (a 2011 saw) but I think if you look around the top of the rear handle between the tank and the engine you should be able to see the spigot the green plug will or won't be on. That's all saying they haven't changed the tanks on the later ones though.

Apparently the problem was made worse when saws were laid on their side when not running, especially after refueling, which sort of makes sense with mine anyway. Usually though, if it doesn't restart straight away, I'll just start it as though it's flooded - I really should get round to fitting the breather kit but it's not bothered me enough to do it yet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! Not been happy with the running of this saw since I got it. Like I said, I've already taken it back once, will try a second time, but with a six week wait, it's a bloody real pain! I'm going to try the ' YOU ring me in six weeks, and I'll bring it in and you can fix it on the day' because I'm not prepared to wait that long a second time....damn I hate Stanton hopes!!!