Managing declining trees

Nick Harrison

Was down in Devon the other week and found this in a very public location that during the summer has a high footfall from visiting tourists. it's nice to see a tree being left alone, wondered if anyone else has seen much of this type of thing in urban areas and also thoughts on this type of management?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Arbtalk mobile app

1403120268647.jpg.a298519ef2a39a1cb95e30bd9b319320.jpg

1403120226308.jpg.6293b623cc32c80d9ca66eb52badcac8.jpg

Would be a shame if the tourists were from Mongolia :biggrin:

I like it and think its a good management technique.

Although it's the liability angle on this type of management, you are conceding that there is a real perceived potential for failure, and as such are you doing all that is reasonable to manage people in the vicinity of that risk?

Lots of children as well as Mongolians struggle to read english

That's what I had thought too. What with the discussions going on with the kew case recently and the prosecution suggesting that signs should have been put up to warn public of potential risk may have prevented a fatality. Wonder how the court case would have gone tho if there were signs but a death still occurred?

Would be interesting to go back in the height of summer to see if anyone was sitting under this tree..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Arbtalk mobile app

What about the person who mows the grass? I guess he us mongolian!

Coincidentally i used to be a gardeneer for one of the colleges in Oxford, we had a mighty Horse Chesnut in the grounds one summers day i cut the grass under it went to the canteen for lunch when i came back a third of the tree had collapsed. This spurred the college to get their act together on tree management and pushed me into Arboriculture.

Seen this management in a National trust site, a white picket fence was installed and the area underneath left to go wild and over grown which in my opinion made the area less appealing to go into.

Edited by Marc

This old oak (Nick knows it well) used to have mown grass up to its 630cm diameter trunk with benches immediately around the trunk.

We moved the benches outside of the drip line and had the metal fence errected & then left the brambles to grow unchecked.

No one goes under its canopy now.

IMG_1668.jpg.1bef1793e7a6156ccdd2ec80542bb3dc.jpg

IMG_2286.JPG.7b9fe4aebd87c71fc4af016ba0053d52.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG.725bc841b551fc84623a0e74cbbb7dd9.JPG

Picture1.jpg.a3a0930a2e29e96f4992a4085fe5f79f.jpg

Not at that time Paul, perhaps if we did something similar along these lines now, we probably would have to put a buisness case together.

budget was there and we tied into the contract for another tree/fence issue......

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/6986-trees-failing-so-move-target.html

Letting the grass grow within the fence would be a good idea although some might find it less aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe a couple of Rottweilers leashed to the stem would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Paul, you have to account for stupid.

Despite signs on two entry doors, with pictures for those who can't read English, we still have people walk into the office to meet three rotties and a deranged cocker spaniel.

6ft steel palisade fencing and minefield notices should do the trick.