Wine bottle rack

flames

no worries, took me a bit of googling to find what I wanted, and I already had a smaller set of 'self feed cutters'

It's one of those things I remember to look for in shops but never on a computer, I'll get one if things ever slow up a bit and I get some time to build and spend in the workshop.

Also check this out (find courteous of delabodge):

Wow, I'd considered trying to do this with a star of plunge cuts and a carving bar, but figured it'd be, virtually impossible, dangerous and leave a rubbish finish. That looks like a great bar attachment. Is it a stihl product or a custom made piece?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our customers has bought a few sticks off us and it transpires he has been making wine racks from them. He showed them to me and was chatting about how hard it was using a drill, he had burned out a few. I suggested he tried the wolf gut buster from our workshop and it apparently it breezes through it, you need to make sure it does not snag because if the bit stops its you that rotates at 600rpm. In return he has loaned me the 92mm bit so I will have a go at making one.:thumbup1:

imagejpg1_zpsb27d60e6.jpg

imagejpg1_zps7ac0f84c.jpg

I completed this commission last weekend, it was no mean feat making it and moving it about. I can't claim any credit for the concept, as the client showed me a pic of something similar, and asked if I could make something similar from a tree felled on their property.

See more here:

awsome that mate,,,:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

That's an excellent project. I thought about having a go at something like this after seeing a guy at my local timber supplier who was making something similar. He was using a massive 3 phase engineering spec drill press which weighed about a tonne so I discounted it on the basis that I would never have access to that sort of power. Having seen this thread its got me thinking again.

What sort of power requirements would this sort of job require? Is it a question of feed speed and keeping the drill pin sharp? I have an axminster drill press that is 550W - Would I be right in thinking that this will not be powerful enough?

Alistair

i have a 550 motor on my radial arm drill press and would expect it to go through that no problem.

you do have to keep an eye on the sharpness of the bit so keep a diamond file handy. i bought really cheap forstener bits and use the large ones in the press and i have no problem. wd40 can help the cutting process too.

don't forget, green wood cuts easier than dry so it should not be too much trouble in theory.

That's an excellent project. I thought about having a go at something like this after seeing a guy at my local timber supplier who was making something similar. He was using a massive 3 phase engineering spec drill press which weighed about a tonne so I discounted it on the basis that I would never have access to that sort of power. Having seen this thread its got me thinking again.

What sort of power requirements would this sort of job require? Is it a question of feed speed and keeping the drill pin sharp? I have an axminster drill press that is 550W - Would I be right in thinking that this will not be powerful enough?

Alistair

-like 7th' says, should be fine, keep the speed down, and clear the chips from the bore, the only time I stalled my 2kW lathe was when the chips backed up in the hole.

N.B. the self feed cutters, (dewalt ones) say not to use them in a drill press. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe because the screw could pull the morse taper out of the quill - so perhaps drill a pilot hole 1st if using this type of cutter.

i think they say not to use it in a drill press to stop flying wood killing someone.

if some idiot hasn't clamped the work piece down it can bit on the cutter and spin bloody fast and send you to A&E. nearly happened to me once with a small bit of wood and a forstener bit as i hit a concealed knot/void in the wood, it bit the cutter started spinning at about 200rpm and it nearly broke my wrist.

good thing i'm right handed.

i think they say not to use it in a drill press to stop flying wood killing someone.

if some idiot hasn't clamped the work piece down it can bit on the cutter and spin bloody fast and send you to A&E. nearly happened to me once with a small bit of wood and a forstener bit as i hit a concealed knot/void in the wood, it bit the cutter started spinning at about 200rpm and it nearly broke my wrist.

good thing i'm right handed.

It's because the Dewalt bits do what they say on the tin- they self feed! To be fair, in a drill press a Forstner bit without the feedscrew at the bottom is a much better bet. The Dewalt bits are mustard for morticing on site with a battery drill. :thumbup1:

They will easily lift a 6x4 oak post off the deck in a drill press :blushing:

The press wouldn't have enough torque to turn a bit of wood that weight if it hit a knot. Good pointers about the smaller bits of wood though- we've all been there! :lol:

You don't need a diamond file to sharpen them- the faces you need to sharpen are easily accessible with a bog standard flat file :001_smile: