Wine bottle rack

flames

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he's done it with his lathe Rob

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Arbtalk mobile app

Ah - love to get something like that set up - what sort of size lathe would you need in terms of hp? Got three phase in the workshop now.

:001_smile:

Cracking!

It's not getting the bit that's the problem - it's driving it!

You need something very torquey to do it - what did you do it with?

Rob - with the right bit it takes surprisingly little power. I have a normal size Makita power drill - around 600W with a 2-speed setting. I have drilled a 3" diameter hole with it using a Forstner bit, right through the stern post of a canal boat (about 15" deep hole, fairly well dried oak). I ran the line true by holding the drill against a bar I had fixed in place, but for something 'pretty' you would need a clamp type drill press. It's a lot less work than drilling a 12mm diameter hole in a piece of stainless steel :001_smile:

Alec

stunning...

how much did it sell for???

-enough :001_smile:

That's quite nice. I would be a little concerned if I had small kids in the house though: if it fell/was pushed over:blushing:

-true you wouldn't want it to fall on you, but as it's heavy and with it's 16" wide base it's quite stable. In fact a child would need to push/pull it with a force of more than 20kg at about 700mm from the ground before it would start to tip, and then it would need to move more than 15 degrees before it would start to fall under its own weight.

Very nice! But 7 bottle capacity? I'd need several!!

I know I thought that too..., but actually the alcoves are 2 bottles deep, so that's 9, and if you lay bottles on their side, you could get get 13 in, but this thing is for show not function.

Where did you get the bit from?

Bit is a Dewalt 92mm diameter self feed cutter, bought via amazon.

Cracking!

It's not getting the bit that's the problem - it's driving it!

You need something very torquey to do it - what did you do it with?

Ian's right Rob, it's mounted in the lathe chuck. My lathe uses a 3hp motor, 2:1 transmission, driven at about 700rpm.

NICE !!

Hope you are bringing stuff like that to the coombe abbey show

Thanks for reminding me, I still need to get that form in :blushing:

Thanks for all the +ve comments chaps, and sorry some of the pics came in at 90deg, couldn't understand why, but think I know now.

no worries, took me a bit of googling to find what I wanted, and I already had a smaller set of 'self feed cutters'

Also check this out (find courteous of delabodge):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWb_a5mIX88]Drilling with Chainsaw, Special Tool Stihl www.bsjw.ch - YouTube[/ame]