DED Removal.

Rich Rule

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Rich, hope your well, nice vid as always. Looks like a smooth job.

So much easier when you rig down large lumps.

I had my first experience of using a hobbs block on thursday, took a few lumps to get into it as slightly different to an RC.

, I might dust off the cameras for it. But after seeing bixler and hunicke vids, the bar is set high!....

I agree, those guys are putting out some great, imaginative videos....but its quality tree work that really makes something shine. If you can produce both, its a bonus. But dont overlook the most important part. You've got nothing to prove Ben....dont mind anyone elses bar. Looking forward to your vid :thumbup1:

Rich, good job. You were very high with the rigging point....and least, thats how it looked. While lower is generally safer for dumping big limbs and logs, if the line angles are adequate to swing the limbs around. Whats your thoughts mate ?

I agree, those guys are putting out some great, imaginative videos....but its quality tree work that really makes something shine. If you can produce both, its a bonus. But dont overlook the most important part. You've got nothing to prove Ben....dont mind anyone elses bar. Looking forward to your vid :thumbup1:

Cheers mate. True. There is no bar really, just quality treework! I wish I'd filmed that last one, the rigging went very well considering the very tight spaces!

Cheers.

Rob, the timber looked great, the tree was only recent dead due to the DED. The timber had some lovely colouring in there and grain. We got the tree down to the lowest limb on the LHS and then I flopped the stem as it was getting difficult to control the lump. Behind was a fence and a quite long and steep hill down to a public footpath and small beck. The timber was being stacked so we chopped it into 3 for the grab to lift and blew site down and left. No one wants the timber that size mate over here and it would have looked awesome milled as there was barely any shake.

Mark it was a Hobbs Lowering device and 12mm Tuefleberger rigging line.

Reg, the rigging point was pretty high but still around a leader that was 6 inches plus diameter. The front leader when knocked off was about 15 foot above the anchor point. Aaron did the climbing and I ran the ropes. So really he made the decision, maybe I would have dropped a metre of so lower into the fork at the top of the screen but he was up there and made his decisions on the rigging points.

Getting back to what I said in response to Rob's comment, we only had a 12mm rigging line so it wasn't as if we had plans to rig off mahoosive pieces from that point anyway. DED Elm is pretty strong so the decision was taken. Very little to no shocking the tree as you can see from the vid. The anchor point barely moves as a lot of the pieces came down.

Very valid points though Reg, thanks for the comments. ;)

GOPR0028.jpg.bd95563d15a17986e4a7e830563ecc24.jpg

Reg, I selected that rigging point because I felt that it was more than adequate for the job in hand. It was about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and in sound condition. Elm is pretty strong also, even if its dead or in decline it can take a battering. I actually popped a rigging point when I was working in Oz a few years ago taking out a big lemon scented gum. So I pay a lot of attention to what parts of the tree I use nowadays.

mistahaben, I've been contract climbing for years now and have worked in loads of different country's for loads of different firms. Id never consider boshing a tree like that out at all mate. (it was in a hospital car park), and the tarmac looked like it was the type that doesn't take well to dropping massive timber on it.(The normal type that is) Besides which it would leave skid marks where the butts were hitting. Also The grass area overlooked the main river in Oslo, was nicely kept, and when we arrived had some benches that we moved so obviously people sit there a fair bit. Making foot deep holes everywhere/ or having to re-instate it would be simply retarded. The other key factor here, is that the tree had roughly £2500 on it and we were in and out in 5 hours! I don't think that's to sad really.

It wasn't an amazing video really i must admit, as like you say there wasn't much technically challenging rigging going on. And also we only filmed a small part of the entire job. Sorry you were disappointed. we have a lot of interesting jobs going on and i will ask to borrow a helmet cam from rich on one or two if you want me to.

Dude I wasn't at all disappointed... Its all good mate. As Reg said, quailty tree work undertaken by pros is good to watch.... And as I said, rigging a tree out is much more productive, for the climber AND the groundcrew. Landing limbs butt first to the chipper wins every time.

Im uploading some footage from yesterday, but its taking time! SLOW. 2500 is a great price on that tree! The one were doing right now has $3000 on it, its so competitive here. Work is work,