Uniforms

kev7937

I know of a few companies with corporate vest tops. I wear plain black/dark grey sports vests as they are much cooler and stay drier than any cotton shirt.

But I always turn up with a polo shirt on over the top

Gotta show off the gunns to the chicks hey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit surprised people are so anti vests and think the public have such a negative view of them, What about tatoos, piercings even facial stubble ? My old man allways tells me to get rid of the face fungus as he calls it whereas I dont think he'd blink if I wore a vest.

Vests are fine IMO as long as everyone has the same colour and style or they are sign written. It doesn't detract from good quality tree work and i don't think people really take that much notice

On the subject of excess hi-vis and OTT health and safety at work we were discussing this yesterday (construction company) and the general consensus is that it is getting to the point where people are becoming blind to it for two reasons....

a) There is only so much blaze orange, dayglo yellow, beeping reversing alarms etc that the human brain can take and once it becomes the norm it gets tuned out and you don't see it or hear it.

They are even fitting operatives with transponders now so it sounds an alarm or disables a machine if they get too near.

b) If you have to fight health and safety measures in order to accomplish a job or you are working in discomfort then shortcuts get taken. A 100% safe guard on a machine is one which prevents you from getting anywhere near, let alone using the machine...

More personal responsibility/common sense is the only cure, but how does one legislate for that?....

Do none of u wear those long sleeved base layer type stuff (like helly hansen etc) i find them quite good all year round as they wick moisture they don't get wet and not too warm if 1 of the thinner ones.

Being long sleeved it stops ur forearms getting scratched to buggery when climbing on chipper and when i was cutting commercial soft woods stopped ur arms being covered in resin (right pain to was off) at the end of a shift as well as protecting from insect/midgey/clegg bites

I usually do, but not company written (I've been meaning to get round to this for ages, but it's just me an my groundie). Yesterday I climbed in a T-shirt and had sawdust in my armpit for half the day. You can get summer base layers as well as winter ones, and they are the best in this heat.:thumbup::thumbup:

On the subject of excess hi-vis and OTT health and safety at work we were discussing this yesterday (construction company) and the general consensus is that it is getting to the point where people are becoming blind to it for two reasons....

a) There is only so much blaze orange, dayglo yellow, beeping reversing alarms etc that the human brain can take and once it becomes the norm it gets tuned out and you don't see it or hear it.

They are even fitting operatives with transponders now so it sounds an alarm or disables a machine if they get too near.

b) If you have to fight health and safety measures in order to accomplish a job or you are working in discomfort then shortcuts get taken. A 100% safe guard on a machine is one which prevents you from getting anywhere near, let alone using the machine...

More personal responsibility/common sense is the only cure, but how does one legislate for that?....

Great post :thumbup1:

I guess the short answer is that you can't, so companies are forced to have so many policies just to cover their own backsides.

If the potential work of a man is to be judged on the cut of his jib we have lost sight of whats important.

some of the scruffiest men ive met have been the most professional of men ive met

'Some' being the optimum word there Tony.

'Tree care professional' is how we as an industry should aspire to be seen by our stakeholders.........in my opinion of course.