Denmark

Never been there, which by accounts, is a crime against sensibility. Worked alongside two forestry students a while back. Very interesting people, knowledgable, thoughtful, happy, kind, well paid, confident and both barking mad; but in a good way.

They wanted to be where there was hard work to be done, yet also had a thirst for the new, providing it didn't detract from traditional, (wholesome if you will) values. They went at things with humour and seriousness in equal measure. Confidently independent in their ability for lone working and always giving a helping hand where needed and without having to be asked.

They worked to an exacting standard, because that's the way they'd been brought up and how they were tutored. Talking with them, gained me the knowledge, that a Danish employer would expect high productivity, to a high standard but not at the expense of the health of the worker or general community. If you cut in one of their national parks, it's mandatory to use Aspen. But it's available at the pump at less than half the UK price.

Stihl is a favourite or at least was. They'd get their machinery cheaper from Germany but their PPE cheaper from the UK. The main forestry uni based in Copenhagen, may have their students sponsored by industry. For instance, these two turned up in saw trousers, jackets & gloves given to them by Pfanner, Meindl had given them Airstreams, wooly hats by Stihl; even their base layers had been industry supplied and all on a

'wear it out and we'll replace it' basis. They were being taught to an industry leading standard. Being supplied with industry leading names, both in clothing, right up to the newest harvesters, etc. They knew high things would be expected of them in return and were prepared to work hard to be the best they could be. I gathered this was not an unusual ethos.

Considering their population density and the natural resources, they knew they could live the good life, if they all, (the Danes as a whole) worked together.

These http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Denmark taxation figures are out of date but give an idea of what to expect.

Edited by TGB

What kind of "tree work" are you considering? Arb work in private gardens or forestry work?

I was traines (arborist) at the forestry college in Denmark ("Skovskolen") and currently work as an arborist, mainly working in private gardens in the greater Copenhagen area.

If you have any specific questions, let me know (here or PM).

Type of work and pay obviously depends very much on what you do (forestry/arborist), how good/fast/experienced you are, and whether you are employed or self-employed (sub-contractor). But you should keep in mind that cost of living in Denmark (especially around Copenhagen) is higher than the UK, and tax rates are higher, too.

You should also consider Sweden as an option.

Thanks for the responses. I should have specified; Mainly commercial and private arb work. Been climbing for around 5 years. No forestry or utility stuff. My girlfriend is Danish and soon moves back to Copenhagen so I'm just exploring options. I was there over the weekend and its bonkers, great city. Thanks.