Sycamore trunk bulges

Gray git

What do you reckon, is the fluting of the trunk an indication that the decay from the wound has travelled down and could be compromising the structure of this tree.

Any ideas about the desicated fluting body?

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

1402351434299.jpg.4821abe9d5bcf3524b51462d1831fd36.jpg

1402351412780.jpg.79ebfd7f5be2a880751ebae6e087bcee.jpg

1402351397341.jpg.cff8c0c569827ba858da060ff816b2d3.jpg

Thanks tony would you say it would be structurally compromised, I know hard to say without a full investigation but owners are a bit panicky as the tree is about 4m from the house and overhangs the bedrooms, reaction growth is not my strong point so any input is appreciated.

Photo wise very little to go on, so wild speculation offers-

1. Possibly old Dryads saddle

2. You say the stem is fluted. Hard to make out, but is the wound on the far side of the stem at the top of the first pic? If so decay has likely spread down.

3. Assuming 1&2 is correct, being an intense white rotter and on sycamore, good chance the residual wall could be thinning and causing buckling/kinking. This could be a danger sign, or equally could be adaptive growth of a tree with high vitality in response to increased stresses brought about by decay.

So what's your relationship with the tree, what has been/will be done to it? Are we going to get to see a cross section or two?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Dryads saddle was my guess but wasn't totally sure,

Fluted may not be the correct term but it has 3 distinctive raised ribs running down the trunk for approximately 7ft, at the base the trunk is an even shape all round then the ribs start at around 4ft running up to around where the main wound is, apparently a limb that failed about 8 years ago.

The wound is almost top right of the 1st picture.

Relationships with the tree is the client wants it out as scared it's going to kill them, council has tpo it but planning officer admitted she would not want a tree that big near her house and didn't have a clue when I tried to explain about my worries about what was going on inside.

If it does come down I'll get you any pictures you may wish too see.

Forgot to add the goo in the cavity was rancid, nearly made me retch and normally iv got very little sense of smell.

Some of the Crown has normal size /color leaves but the very upper crown is smaller and paler.

Ribs or elephant ears are a sign of incremental growth over a possible crack of some description. No telling if the bark included or grafted well. Possible compromise to stem strength. Could crown reduce to take off some sail-weight and monitor. Sound it with a plastic hammer to see how far the cavity goes and a sharp stick will tell you extent and depth to be certain of decay pockets. Smell could be rotting fungi/dead animal/old food stored by animal. More info here Polyporus squamosus - Dryads saddle - David Humphries’s Fungi Directory - Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists