Quick release snatch block for extraction

Hi there,

can anyone advise where to get a quick release snatch block to help me extract timber.

I am using a winch on the back of a tractor with what I estimate to be a 12mm - maybe a 9mm cable - whatever is normal for a farmi-type winch.

The tracks, at the bottom of the hill are too narrow to back the tractor to within a 30degree angle - so I need to use a block to send the cable up the hill.

I will be pulling one or two trees at a time - 75ft long larch with roughly 40cm butts.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you

We got ours from Riko, can't remember how much but it's a substantial lump. We bought it specifially for one site but never needed it in the end - I can see if we might part with it if interested?

EDIT: did you mean a normal quick release one or a self releasing one? Ours is a self releasing one.

for the normal quick release ones, pretty much any of the places that supply forestry winches will have them.

Hi Chris - thanks for your message - what is the difference between quick release and self-release?

Would be interested in checking out what you have & seeing if it fits.

Buying one 2nd hand makes sense since they seem super expensive. I am down in south devon.

All the best

Hi there,

can anyone advise where to get a quick release snatch block to help me extract timber.

I am using a winch on the back of a tractor with what I estimate to be a 12mm - maybe a 9mm cable - whatever is normal for a farmi-type winch.

The tracks, at the bottom of the hill are too narrow to back the tractor to within a 30degree angle - so I need to use a block to send the cable up the hill.

I will be pulling one or two trees at a time - 75ft long larch with roughly 40cm butts.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you

Apart from the safety aspects of pulling timber downhill with the tractor in the line of fire, can I ask what the significance of the 30 degree angle you refer to is?

Thanks Steve, that's definitely what I will be looking for. Blocks seem to be pretty pricey though so I hope to find someone with one which they no longer need or are willing to pass on... otherwise it's time to rub the money tree.

And Muldonach, re. the angle of tractor & winch - I have read that 30degrees is the max angle to allow for the winch cable to feed out from the winch to safely drag a load - beyond that and I risk pulling the tractor over (best not learn that one through experience).

I will have the tractor parked straight on the track - run the cable at max of 30degrees to a tree with block on it - then redirect the cable back up the hill to the log I wish to pull - safely dragging it to the trackside without running it straight towards the tractor.

So far so good :)

id agree with the 30 degree angle get it a near straight line as possible for the pulls as you could have it going back on the drum crooked and bind up. you will have trouble finding one second hand as once you have used one you will understand why, not sure clarkes will do one, i found it hard to find a 20 ton rated block think i searched for lifting blocks and got those instead

Edited by steve collins

Hi there,

We sell these in the range of Portable Winch accessories, but of course it's for 12mm rope not cable.

They do an open face snatch block with 100mm diameter sheave and a metal cone that fixes to the rope. When the cone hits the open face snatch block the rope jumps off. Very simple but effective. The working load of the block is 20kN. £71 ex Vat for the two components.