SteveA

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By 4 stroke do you mean 4 mix? (I'm not sure what 4 mix is?) cheers, steve

Hi, the 4 mix engine is a 4 stroke engine which runs on the usual 2 stroke mixture by drawing it through the crankcase and circulating it round the engine to lube it like a 2 stroke before passing the fuel to the 4 stroke valves, [or something like that !! ] Think the idea is to reduce vibes, noise and fuel consumption, think it`s used in the backpack blowers and combi systems, not sure about the strimmer. sorry if this is a bit off thread, cheers

Hi, the 4 mix engine is a 4 stroke engine which runs on the usual 2 stroke mixture by drawing it through the crankcase and circulating it round the engine to lube it like a 2 stroke before passing the fuel to the 4 stroke valves, [or something like that !! ] Think the idea is to reduce vibes, noise and fuel consumption, think it`s used in the backpack blowers and combi systems, not sure about the strimmer. sorry if this is a bit off thread, cheers

thanks, learnt something there so don't mind going slightly off thread at all. cheers, steve :thumbup1:

Makita do a 4 stroke strimmer too. I think 4 strokes are good bolted to somthing like a mower where it sits at low revs all day and dont go upside down or have a trigger to pick up revs. I have had Stihl 4 mix and Honda 4 stroke I think there hateful little engines.

1 Vibrate alot

2 Heavy

3 Hard To start

4 More Maintenace

5 Low accelaration and dont hold revs

6 Make stupid noise.

I am probaly a bit biast but you cant beat a good 2 stroke :)

Slightly more topic related. I've got the stihl back pack battery pack and hedge trimmer. It's so much easier quieter and lighter than the petrol ones. Also no issues with starting or refueling. There is plenty of power too.

The battery pack lasts about a week or two depending on how many hedges. It's suppose to last 11 hrs which is a long time at full throttle.

I'm going to buy the stihl strimmer in a week or so which I think is similar to the one your looking at. I'll post a review once I get it.

So far I'm convinced with the battery powered tools

Slightly more topic related. I've got the stihl back pack battery pack and hedge trimmer. It's so much easier quieter and lighter than the petrol ones. Also no issues with starting or refueling. There is plenty of power too.

The battery pack lasts about a week or two depending on how many hedges. It's suppose to last 11 hrs which is a long time at full throttle.

I'm going to buy the stihl strimmer in a week or so which I think is similar to the one your looking at. I'll post a review once I get it.

So far I'm convinced with the battery powered tools

Will be great to hear your thoughts on the strimmer.

How many batteries and much did your battery pack cost, if you don't mind my asking? cheers, Steve

I've got the ar 900 battery. I was lucky enough to find one second hand otherwise wouldn't have got it. But based on the amount of power used with the hedge trimmer a standard battery pack would probably be ok. Fitting a inverter in the van and running the charger between jobs would ensure plenty of power. I'll let you know how I get on with the sttimmer

I have considered using small hedge cutter and chainsaw with lithium ion but what realy puts me off is the cost of battery's if you think of a drill its fine on batteries cuase most of the time you use it for short bursts. A hedge cutter or brush cutter going all day will burn through batteries in no time specialy on a fast charge and at over a £100 a go you cant beat a tub of 2 stroke unleaded for a days work at around £8!

the run time on a hedgecutter is about an hour. the cost of charging the batteries would be around 8p.

as a rough guide, including the purchase price of the equivalent fuel is about 10:1

the battery price is 150, worth about 1500 in pump fuel.

here is a link to a review of the trimmers...

http://www.hortweek.com/Landscape/article/1174695/husqvarna-536-li-r/

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk