Sycamore die back

arb culture

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps look at Verticillium Wilt, this too affects Acer and is noted on the species as well as SBD by Forest Research

It can show as wilting of parts of canopies and dieback

The affected parts will have dark streaks running around the growth ring.

It's a soil-borne fungi Verticillium dahliae

If it weakens the trees I guess they may be susceptible to Armillaria also

Hi David,

I checked it out and there are no dark streaks.

I've also been asking tree officers in my area what their thoughts are.

Many have noticed the condition, but thoughts on the cause are unclear. one tree officer has, tentatively, suggested a link with the condition and Kretz.

I have attached some photos, but I apologise for their quality.

IMAG1635.jpg.7ca6672e848a7fc5e04a52336a6db27c.jpg

Leaves from affected tree and unaffected tree

IMAG1629.jpg.5ba1fc38c98836b29e12b9c167016bd2.jpg

Recent death

IMAG1633.jpg.13cf846afea7d45b6f0d60dd0ede693e.jpg

Group of affected trees - some showing major die-back but with reiterative growth.

IMAG1640.jpg.fd2ce510eb54f3ed44a28b534099a6ed.jpg

Early stages affected tree on right and unaffected on left (for comparison)

I should also mention that this condition is getting very common all over my part of the world (West Yorkshire). I'm guessing that about one in ten sycamores I see have at least some signs of this condition, and I've been noticing it for about 7 years now.

I'm not the only one getting worried.

Any clues would be brilliant.

Cheers

Edited by arb culture
spelling

I've also been asking tree officers in my area what their thoughts are.

Many have noticed the condition, but thoughts on the cause are unclear. one tree officer has, tentatively, suggested a link with the condition and Kretz.

Interesting observation regarding Kretzschmaria being a possible influence.

around my patch I've often noticed the opposite, where Kretz is concerned.

I've witnessed heavily infected Sycamores which have very good vascular health with normal sized leaves and little discernable die back.

It may well be that the trees that I refer to could have a healthier rooting environment.

May be prudent to keep an open mind as to there being more than one culprit associated with this decline, it could be a complex involving multiple agents.

DSC00788.JPG.94dd2f11c5e431c8f7831a85be2299ff.JPG

DSC00782.jpg.1e482225fd19e808fdf9ce5eabe0ebbc.jpg

DSC00780.jpg.8efb42fbbbca1cb1f06d5b09e5318354.jpg

5976695c5c34f_CopyofDSC00779.JPG.75845175eb715fc3a1db88208d0c107e.JPG

May be prudent to keep an open mind as to there being more than one culprit associated with this decline, it could be a complex involving multiple agents.

My mind is totally open on this one, but I suspect you are correct that it is complex.

My primary suspicion is that it's a combination of biotic and abiotic factors.

The main thing I ask is that people keep their eyes open for dodgy looking sycamores and let us all know on here. It would be great to see how widespread this condition is.

Cheers

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread - I visited a site in Sheffield last week and saw a similar thing on a couple of Sycamores, others in the same row seemed fine, but two showed excessive deadwood within the crowns but no other visual signs, no old fruiting bodies, no signs of Kretzsc. Any ideas? and what's the prognosis?

59766d2083776_T12.jpg.d57450b01eb2ef0f9329964b6f3dc8a0.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread - I visited a site in Sheffield last week and saw a similar thing on a couple of Sycamores, others in the same row seemed fine, but two showed excessive deadwood within the crowns but no other visual signs, no old fruiting bodies, no signs of Kretzsc. Any ideas? and what's the prognosis?

Hi Keith,

Was there any indication of any excavation or changes in soil levels near the trees?

I can't see the wall behind the trees very well in the photo, but is there any indication that it has been constructed or re-built in the last decade?