Growing firewood

Just now, trigger_andy said:

Do you see an accumulation of Resin collecting below?

Could it be that it’s partially seasoning sitting outside? 

If the resin was being washed away then it wouldn't accumulate below. Yes, it's seasoning on the rare days it doesn't rain. It's mainly because I lack the space to put it all inside straight away

11 minutes ago, spandit said:

If the resin was being washed away then it wouldn't accumulate below. Yes, it's seasoning on the rare days it doesn't rain. It's mainly because I lack the space to put it all inside straight away

But there would be obvious signs of that process happening surely? 

Do you realistically see the resin being flushed out beyond a few millimetres without any pressure being applied? I assume you realise how viscus resin is? 

Just now, trigger_andy said:

But there would be obvious signs of that process happening surely? 

Do you realistically see the resin being flushed out beyond a few millimetres without any pressure being applied? I assume you realise how viscous resin is? 

Doesn't matter how viscous it is if it's water soluble. Anyway, let's not argue about it. Wood needs to be dry to burn and dry wood will burn.

2 minutes ago, spandit said:

Doesn't matter how viscous it is if it's water soluble. Anyway, let's not argue about it. Wood needs to be dry to burn and dry wood will burn.

But locked deep within a log and flushed out with the pitter patter of rain?

But you’re right, let’s leave it at that. 

Edited by trigger_andy

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

I can understand a log seller not wanting to sell willow but if it's free then season it and burn when ready.

I do sell it in small quantities but as softwood, not hardwood.

Horse Chestnut I don't touch!

12 minutes ago, nepia said:

I do sell it in small quantities but as softwood, not hardwood.

Horse Chestnut I don't touch!

I don't think I've tried horse chestnut yet. I had some birch this year, nice wood with a decent scent but thought it burnt almost as quick as some of the stuff people don't like.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Will C said:

It will be seasoning out side, it will season a lot quicker in smaller bits, the sooner you smash it apart the sooner it will dry.

Yes, getting it dry quickly means there is less loss of dry matter (=heat energy) by respiration of bugs living off it. Smaller logs have more surface area exposed to drying air and less distance for water to migrate. Keeping the rain off prevents re wetting and hence keeps mould and boring insects out.

I am having to re split [1] my cedar logs , felled 22nd June, and they are 15% mc wwb in the middle, less on the outside having been under a polycarbonate roofed open shed.

[1] The morso s11 smokes black, like a car with its choke on, if I put a 5" plus cross section log on as they are so dry that they evolve more woodgas than the secondary and clean burn air holes can supply if put in whole for a few minutes. It's an unexpected pain as being light they also burn fast, meaning frequent loading is needed. Having said that the house is too warm to have kept it fired since I lit it at 17:00, ground floor rooms at 21C and it's still 10C outside.

• Like 1