Growing firewood

Bought as seed from abroad. This batch was not particularly easy to germinate even in commercial propagators but in recent times the seed compost has been questionable so it may not be a viability problem. I probably got less than 10% germination.

• 3 weeks later...

I always found these trials amazing, however having had 2 eucs (not sure which genus) in my garden when I moved into my current house, I wasn't completely shocked. We felled ours in about 2008, at which point I remember being up in the crown and looking out above the pitch of the roof on our two storey 1970s house. I thought the trees must have been planted around when the house was built but no, my wife bumped into a previous owner of the house who admitted they'd planted the eucs in the early 1990s.

Anyway, back to the trials:

http://www.primabio.co.uk/Biomass/srftrials_enitensinKent

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this - some of my eucalyptus seems to be suffering from wind burn / frost nip. Browning of the leaves.

Hopefully not terminal, but not looking great at the moment. Something to bear in mind, as the varieties I planted (E. nitens and E. neglecta) are all supposed to be hardy to -15C or lower, and it hasn't been that cold. Also, I'm in a valley, so I don't think it's been that windy!

IMG_20180404_164929.thumb.jpg.6aa1a8c2280bfb2802f98b46448a6028.jpgIMG_20180404_164914.thumb.jpg.dc696b612517de53d140588385c9e36b.jpg

5 hours ago, sandspider said:

Just to add to this - some of my eucalyptus seems to be suffering from wind burn / frost nip. Browning of the leaves.

Hopefully not terminal, but not looking great at the moment. Something to bear in mind, as the varieties I planted (E. nitens and E. neglecta) are all supposed to be hardy to -15C or lower, and it hasn't been that cold. Also, I'm in a valley, so I don't think it's been that windy!

There can be huge variation in hardiness even within euc species.  If you remember that really cold winter we had a few years back, we took down a number of dead 15m plus eucs.  While identical looking individuals in the same garden were fine. The theory I liked was that their natural range in the blue mountains ranges from very hot in the lowlands to very cold in the mountains.  Lazy seed collectors who collected seed from low levels collected less hardy plants then those who trekked into the mountains..

Not convinced that second pic is frost. Frost usually gets the top leaves first as they are youngest/softest. Usually takes out the whole leaf too rather than patches.

Then again it is your plant, I guess you know what happened better than us.

I don't know at all, I'm guessing! Hence asking here. Someone suggested frost or wind chill, but the tip leaves on the plants which aren't fully brown look to be healthy and green, new leaves growing etc.

The seed supplier said they're fully cold hardy (though Ben makes a good point above), I'll get back in touch and ask their advice.

Could be two different problems affecting the two different species I suppose...

Edited by sandspider