Legalities of burning

doobin

Its always worth phoning the fire brigade to tell them what and when you are burning. It will save them turning up and asking the questions when the local jobsworth/nosy/ nimby makes the totally unnecessary call. They appreciate it.

Bob

If they get a call I think they have to turn out anyway:001_rolleyes:, but if they come out and you haven't notified them then you can be in the poo. If we're burning we notify them before starting and at the end of the day when everything's damped down, doesn't take much, they always appreciate it and it keeps us in the right if anyone does call them. :thumbup:

If they get a call I think they have to turn out anyway:001_rolleyes:, but if they come out and you haven't notified them then you can be in the poo. If we're burning we notify them before starting and at the end of the day when everything's damped down, doesn't take much, they always appreciate it and it keeps us in the right if anyone does call them. :thumbup:

:thumbup:best way to go cuts down on the turnout level ( number of pumps, officers,) also leaves resources on standby:thumbup: and costless. without the phone call you get the whole shibang and if it turns out the officer in charge thinks its dangerous & deliberate act you can end up being charged:thumbdown:

Hi there,

have a look at the attached which might help

Cheers..:thumbup1:

Paul

PS Thanks to Kevin Johnson for bringing this to my attention.

Is that a brownie point for my forthcoming assessment Paul??? Or just another piece of admin I'll need to get squared away! I don't do fires!!

Is that a brownie point for my forthcoming assessment Paul??? Or just another piece of admin I'll need to get squared away! I don't do fires!!

Kevin, "brownie points"...never! :lol:

good news about your intended assessment , thank you and i very much look forward to receiving your application in the near future....oh yeah, 10 brownie points so far :thumbup:

cheers Kevin

Paul

I have many fires, on site, it quicker than chipping, leaves little waste for disposal and is very cost effective labour wise. I am always mindful of wind direction and speed, I notify neighbours who may be affected if the wind does veer round. Quite often the fire is virtually burned out before the site is raked clean.

• 6 years later...

With the new stove regs surprised its still fine to have bonfires of wet wood?

Farmers burning bale wrap make plumes of black smoke look like when Sadam lit the oil wells sometimes anyway. 😏

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2014 at 18:57, bolthole said:

Do the job on a day when the wind is blowing away from the houses - I live in a village and once upset the neighbours burning fresh leylandii brash! I started doing it when the wind took the smoke away over the open countryside and had no further problems.

THEN I discovered that if I propped my leaf blower up so that it was blowing into the base of the fire on idle the resulting inferno burned so hot that it kept the smoke down to a minimum!! If you can make a wall of bricks around the fire then it's even better. Don't have your leaf blower too close though... check it regularly to make sure it isn't getting hot and if it is then move it further away.

Doing it this way meant that the fire could keep up with me regularly adding brash too...

Lengths of cast iron drain pipe with slots cut in every 12 inch and bung the end up. Then you can pile brash on top with the grab, works a treat.

• Like 1