Show us your Logging Horses

Thought it would be interesting to start a thread to show/compare horses and equipment. I'll start off! :biggrin:

This is a couple of pics of a Single horse using a Scandinavian Timber Arch up front, and a "Pole Arch" to support the weight of the log. This was the first time I had used this Pole Arch and the arrangement of strops has since been replaced with chains that allow us to elevate the log much higher. The Log was 7m long Oak and approximately 1200kg. This set up could handle 2000kg on good ground.

The overall power to weight ratio and manoeuvrability of this in comparison to a tractor and forwarding trailer is excellent, and it can get through gaps of 1.8m (6ft). It is very quick to elevate the logs and all the wheels are doing is to support the weight of the log, and it avoids driven wheels which are what cause ruts and damage to roots in the woods. It would be quite possible to move 20-30 ton of well presented timber with this in a day.

The trick is to support the log just behind the balance point with the Pole arch, so that it lifts once the horse is in draught, and when the horse stops it drops again to aid braking.

The Horse is Roy, a 5 year old Suffolk Punch wearing a Canadian Biothene harness with a Scandinavian adapter kit.

A super combination for selective thinning!

597669403016b_MattRoyandPoleArchOct2013.jpg.58badf76daf14f8ee7cd8be336ae4cc8.jpg

597669402af1a_MattRoyandPoleArch2013.jpg.c2ec4f58547121b20ad47695a7f777c1.jpg

Aye only thing that spoils that picture is hi vis vest:thumbdown: The modern ways have to be in.

Know what you mean, but in a modern forestry environment hi vis, lids, radios, etc are all essentials. The base machine (horse) hasn't changed in centuries, but all the other bits help us to be more efficient and safe, so has it's place.

The hi-vis does spoil the picture, no doubt about that. Still a real nice picture and I had it as my home screen for some time.

Took the pic at a forestry show a few years back. I really wished I had stopped to chat but I will be honest and tell you I was a bit choked at the time.

I spent a lot of time with horses at one time of my life and it all came flooding back, not that it ever really goes.