is it possible to live as a single/sole person?

jimmylad

Afternoon all

Forgive me for writing a rant however I just need to let some steam off.

I have just completed the end of five years of studying various arb' and forestry qualifications however am now sat here thinking why did I bother.

My problem is that now I have finished and I am working I am finding it simply impossible to progress in life (not my career).

I currently work as a laborer (I have basic saw tickets among over tickets/training and awards) and I do love it, however as a single person I can not afford to live. I earn a respectable amount and I am no way complaining at what I earn, however as a single person trying to pay for the rent, bills, fuel and food I will not be able to save any money each year (maybe 500 if the car doesnt breakdown!). I appreciate that money is not the be all and end all but I would one day like to own my own place.

I appreciate that if I want to make money I will need to change job and move up into some kind of management job however that is not me. I dont really have the confidence for that.

Its crazy, I used to earn more than what I do know working in a sh*t retail job yet doing something I enjoy is pushing me over the financial limit.

To be honest am kind of piss*d off that after studying for so long and working my butt off I am in a worse situation financially that I have ever been in.

Does anyone else have they worries or joys with life? is anyone else able to live as a sole/single person and still save some money? - if so, how?

Anyways thats about it really. Hope your having more joy than me

Regards

J

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you carrying student Debt?

Do you run a credit card, and roll the debt forward?

Is your car on finance?

Have you itimized each working week and non working weekend, EXACTLY where the money goes.

What are you prepared to do WITHOUT to move forward?

As a single man you have the luxury of living in digs/a single room/caravan/sleeping beneath the stars, and working all the hours under the Sun, plus chasing high earning work where ever it be located.

Us happily married men do not have these freedoms.

regards,

Marcus

Self employment is the way. Your never going to get any of the cream while your working for someone else. Even if you start off working for yourself on the weekends. Business will soon build.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

I would suggest advertising yourself and picking up any weekend work you can get. I assume that you could get some of the guys you work with to join you for the odd job, as long as the price is right. Scope out some holiday homes, drop flyers/cards through the doors, for tree work, hedges or even just grass cutting. You'll start to build up customers through that and word of mouth will get work coming your way. As the previous reply said, you've got the freedom being single to work lots of hours and to live in cheap digs.

Having said that, it's bloody hard to make ends meet, I know I've had a few slow months due to an injury which has left me struggling to pay myself the last couple of months (oh, and a new boiler).

The key thing is to remember that if you're enjoying life, then you're doing much better than most. I was up the top of a huge Beech tree on Friday, struggling out to a right awkward point having been off the ground for about 5 hours and was able to just look around me at the view of a ship sailing the Firth of Clyde and think just how lucky I am. In Keswick you must be likewise. If you're not enjoying it, then find something you do enjoy!

What was it that took 5 yrs of study to achieve? And what was your predicted / desired outcome on completion of training?

Maybe, like 10's of thousands of other pointless academic qualifications the problem actually lies at the beginning of the study process (poor or pointless choice) rather than at the end??

If "management" wasn't a desired or suitable end state surely you'd have been better off with vocational studies?

Don't beat yourself up over it, if you want to crack on, do some graft, chase & follow the work, find a niche, keep your chin up!

Hi all

Thanks for the replies :D

Kevinjohn' I did a two year ND in forest and arb, and now i've just finished my degree in woodland management. No grades yet but it shouldnt be bad a one (I average either 2:1's or 1st').

As such I didn't have any goals or outcomes from it when I went it to (some may say thats stupid, however how do you know until you try). I did it as I was working and travelling and not getting anywere as such. I wanted to do something I'd love and so ended up with forestry. I wouldnt say it is a pointless qualification - its been great on many accounts and for those who can do the management side of things then great, however as I said am not management material.

Tim thats it, I enjoy what I do but I cant see how I can afford to keep on going like this. As you say, you get days when no matter whats going on, the simple joy of being out in a forest (or up a tree) is often enough to please the soul for a bit.

Billy I'd rather not mention what I earn. I work hard for what I get and am proud of it however that detail I'd rather not divulge due to respect for my boss.

Markieg your right (I hope).

Difflock I like your prospective hahaha. I do have some freedom overs are not privileged to however at 30 years old I was probably a little misguided thinking I would be able to live as a sole person. To answer your questions, the student I class as being irrelevant due to how thats paid back. The car is only worth 500 at best. I've gone through all expected income and outgoings and I can only just get it to balance. As to what I am prepared to do, well pretty much anything (within my capabilities). I'd love to continue in forestry if I can. I'll work as much as I can (well as much as the body will allow me to) were I can.

Thanks all for the comments however - it is good to get another persons perspective on these things

J

Took me more than 8 years to realize I had to pump money into my operation to justify my higher wages.

4x4, winch, Hobbs, rigging, radios, insurance certs etc. all the stuff a typical arb expects from his boss, belongs to you, and is worth charging premium coin for once you really know how to use all that cool stuff methodically and safely.

Equip yourself like a general go to foreman who can winch a dump truck out of a bog?

Making yourself indispensable to a bunch of paper pushers ain't that hard mate, but it is costly.

I fooled about for 10 years before truly gettin serious at what I do for a livin, and investing my savings equipping myself well enough to do it independently, with or without paper pushers involved.

Look at a foreman in the field's kitbag, it's 4 wheel drive, and stuffed to the gills with super valuable saws n riggin gizmos.

Become that well equipped foreman and you'll na starve wherever yu go!

Prime the pump lads, while you're young n fit!

Jomoco

Took me more than 8 years to realize I had to pump money into my operation to justify my higher wages.

4x4, winch, Hobbs, rigging, radios, insurance certs etc. all the stuff a typical arb expects from his boss, belongs to you, and is worth charging premium coin for once you really know how to use all that cool stuff methodically and safely.

Equip yourself like a general go to foreman who can winch a dump truck out of a bog?

Making yourself indispensable to a bunch of paper pushers ain't that hard mate, but it is costly.

I fooled about for 10 years before truly gettin serious at what I do for a livin, and investing my savings equipping myself well enough to do it independently, with or without paper pushers involved.

Look at a foreman in the field's kitbag, it's 4 wheel drive, and stuffed to the gills with super valuable saws n riggin gizmos.

Become that well equipped foreman and you'll na starve wherever yu go!

Prime the pump lads, while you're young n fit!

Jomoco

Very sound advise:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy