TPO tree removal without consent

Cloud9climber

So there's a large oak behind my house, it grows over 5 gardens, we have been told not directly that it is getting cut down next weekend. Apparently they have got permission and have had a report done but I don't believe this for one second. The neighbours struggled a a years ago to have a limb reduced as it was into there house window almost so I find it very hard to believe they have give permission to remove it totally

I have looked on the planning authority list and can't see anything about it there at all, and the local councillor said he hasn't had any applications.

They are coming down next weekend and apparently charging 800 quid. ***** bells are ringing. Its atleast 3 day job for a very good set up. No machinery access, bad drag, will have to ring very little bits

Anyhow what can I do to stop this will be gutted to see it go! Am I best ringing the police on when they come to do it if the council haven't given permission?

Thanks

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also:

- get on to one of your local councillors. I have found them to be very ferret like in TPO and planning matters when the council appears to drag their feet

- you say 5 gardens are affected. Do any of the other 4 feel like you? Get them involved. The more pressure the better.

Also -find out who has comissioned the work.

Whichever neighbour has done so needs to be told that they cannot do this.

A mention of the potential fine usually does the trick in my experience.

If you advise the planning dept that this work is booked in they should act. Like they said above, councillors love this sort of thing. Use them.

While the tree still stands, there are options.

If the tree is over your garden the TPO process would have included a notification of the proposed work being sent to you giving you a decent time to comment. As you say - priced at £800 it sounds like a 'mobile' crew has been booked in.

Edited by Shane

Copy and paste this into Word and make a little leaflet from it - post it through the 5 doors:

Penalties for Unauthorised Work

Once a tree preservation order (TPO) is in force it is an offence to fell, prune or remove branches or roots, top, lop, wilfully damage or wilfully destroy the tree without the written consent of the local council.

Some types of work to trees is exempt from these procedures; however before undertaking work you consider to be exempt it is a good idea to speak to the local Tree Officer at the council for their advice.

Both the tree owners and the tree surgeons could be fined up to £20,000 for carrying out unauthorised work.