Another zigzag bites the dust!!!!

coleman

Would be very unfair to expect petzl to contact every purchaser of a zigzag 2 IF they did a recall...

In this case I think I would have to disagree Drew. The first ZZ would obviously have gone through a lot of testing and so would the second one, so pre-release Petzl had no more idea of how the ZZ2 would really behave in the real world then they did with the first. So to bring out a mk2, in my opinion Petzl should be in a position where they could contact every single customer should they have to. More work for Petzl obviously, but if you are in the business of manufacturing equipment that people put their lives in and are insistent on making a second version then they should put the extra effort in.

If someone was to get hurt on ZZ2 that they bought with the reassurance that problems had been sorted but they had not been informed of multiple problems then I would find that very slack on Petzl's behalf. :thumbdown:

If I went into any store and paid cash for any device how would any manufacturer know to contact me? Of the clerk said " we need your details in case they do a recall", I'd question buying it in the first place. In fact, I've never given my details over for any purchase in store.

If I went into any store and paid cash for any device how would any manufacturer know to contact me? Of the clerk said " we need your details in case they do a recall", I'd question buying it in the first place. In fact, I've never given my details over for any purchase in store.

Every bit of climbing kit I've bought I've had to give my contact details. If some bit of kit has been recognised faulty by the manufacturer I'd like to know.

In the UK a recall could be done through the LOLER system.

Lantra NPTC would have details of the inspectors and the inspectors would have contact details for their clients.

That would be if everyone bothered with LOLER.....:001_rolleyes:

And duck............:laugh1:

• 2 weeks later...
That and when you are going past a horizontal limb and the zigzag is sitting hard against it under your weight.

....past any limb or stem....I agree and if the links are not in the flex position. Be difficult to get your weight off it fast enough if you did not notice it.

Like hyper extending a knee or elbow etc and getting an injury.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently spoke with a petzl rep at the arb show, with concerns on weight limit on zz2 and ariel rescue, then we got talking about "the cracks" only the body of the mk1 was changed the linkage on the mk2 is from the mk1, also so I was told all failure cases are from abroad ?

also in the region of 28,000 zigzag have been sold.

You did just say swivels are fairly pointless?

When the bloody chain links get torqued laterally in a direction they can't go? They fracture and fail at the most highly leveraged points.

All that's required to solve that problem permanently is the addition of a second swivel at the chain attachment point to the body plates. The chain will still function as intended, and the entire system more pliant to a rope's natural lay.

Try and operate a crane without a bloody swivel on the hook.

If you're going to get high tech, then double up on the swivel points already.

Jomoco

Why do you keep saying "bloody" when you from California Jomoco? That's funny. My 25 ton National crane has no swivel in the headache ball and it has anti spin cable that goes with it....mate. :biggrin:

I too would like to know specifically if all or most of the cracks have been in the same place and where that is. I asked a rep a couple of weeks ago and got no clear answer. I climb on mine every day and have 2 of them and had the ZZ1 since invented and would have kept it and not lost a minute of sleep climbing every day on it like I do on my ZZ2's. I climb DRT and use 2 ropes (hence 2 ZZ's) in large decurrent trees.

ps... ^ is that rep sayin it is those damn fatso americans breaking them all?

Edited by david shaw