Jensen roller bearing change

gcogs79

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did mine recently. Is yours the open spur gear model?

The most difficult part is getting the roller off the shaft I took mine to a local engineers who couldn't shift in in the press. They ended up drilling it out. I'd already ordered a new shaft from redwood, but could have brought one from the engineers for a fraction of the cost.

Don't forget to take the opportunity to sharpen the teeth on the roller whilst its out.

Are you planing to change just the triangle housed bearing? Which is usually all that's needed in which case can be done in around about an hour!

We do a lot of Jensen repairs and this tip I will save for PM !

If you do need to remove the shaft on the later oil immersed/gearbox type we also have a easy way to get the shaft out from the grips of the gear as well but again not suitable for public viewing as done incorrectly could become costly an I'am wishing for the blame of that!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

I think the shaft was about £90 +vat. Would've been about £25 from engineers although I don't know about suitable tolerances/temper. I had trouble dropping the shaft assembly out because the mounting lug for one of the tension cable pulleys is in the way. We broke the triangular bearing casing to get it out but the new bearing will come with one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get some time to change the bearing. Nice and easy. Side cover off. Release the tension cable. Undo the 3 bolts, slide bearing off. Slide new one on and reassemble. Quick question, the top roller shaft runs through a block, seems a bit sloppy, is there a seperate bearing in the block to replace or complete swap. Best way to tackle?

Yeh there is bearings in there and a special coated thrust washer.

If there is a lot of free play there maybe a chance the bearings have locked up and the shaft has been turning on the inside race in which case you may need to change the shaft as well!

Knock the roll pin out of the yoke and undue the grub screws and get it in a good vice, remove the paint off the shaft! First!

To make them last longer you could drill a hole down from the top between the bearings, tap the top and put a grease nipple in ( don't forget to take the seal of the insides of the bearings) and only grease with light pressure or the outer seals will pop off. This done correctly will make the bearings last a lot longer..

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

• 5 months later...

I looked at this thread earlier, after spending two hours trying (with little joy)to get the old triangle bearing off! I'd got it to the point of no return after hammering the ring off, but couldn't get the triangle off. With no time for visits to engineers etc and needing it up and running tomorrow morning I decided upon a more drastic, and I can now say succeful approach. Behold the wonders of the Angle Grinder! An hour later and the new one's on, tested and hands partially washed!