Stihl MS661 re-release

Windthrown

Hi Hotrod, I've never used Angus chainsaws before, in fact I didnt even know about them. I will have a look see though, now that I know about them. Chainsaw Bob, and Pete up in Huntly are good guys though, very thorough and informative, every time I go into their shop I seem to get the "Shiny kit bug" and spend too much money haha!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hotrod, I've never used Angus chainsaws before, in fact I didnt even know about them. I will have a look see though, now that I know about them. Chainsaw Bob, and Pete up in Huntly are good guys though, very thorough and informative, every time I go into their shop I seem to get the "Shiny kit bug" and spend too much money haha!

Hi stu I think BOB had some 661 in stock back along mate thanks Jon

Hi Jon, I'm sure he would have, his shop is always well stocked... which is good as anything you need he usually has... but it means the wallet tends to get a hammering too! :-D

Hi Jon, I'm sure he would have, his shop is always well stocked... which is good as anything you need he usually has... but it means the wallet tends to get a hammering too! :-D

Hi stu yes I was told he had 3 661 in dec last I was thinking of one then thanks Jon

I bought a 660 (30"bar) earlier this year and I have to say it really is the dogs doodas! Just munches its way through anything you throw at it... wanting more. I made sure I got one before they went out of production as they have been tried and tested. I'm sure the 661 will also be a good saw but it's not been field tested like the 660 so, even though there might be less vibrations etc I, personally, have chosen to spend my hard earned money on a "battle hardened wood monster" haha.

I did the same as you in the end as well. Brought a 660 in Feb/March this year. I thought a tried and tested saw is better than a new un-tested version.

How are you finding yours? I've got a 36" bar on at the moment and am thinking of putting a 30" on it instead as i think it would be a nicer size to handle.

When i got mine they didn't have heated handles in stock and was worried I wouldn't be able to get one before the 661 was re-released so didn't get them. i haven't really missed them yet though how about you? I think its just more to go wrong as well lol!

30" works great on the 660. I'd look at the dual port exhaust too - bit louder but improves the performance markedly.

Cheers will probably look into that a bit later then! is the new exhaust easy enough to get hold of?

Have you got heated handles on yours? My hands always seem to get warm from the exhaust when I'm ringing up anyway!

Hi Jamesd, I find the 660 well balanced with a 30" bar, it cuts well and if you need to dig in the dogs and give it a bit of oomph it manages no problem. Yeah ive not missed the heated handles, (if your working hard enough you shouldn't need them haha!) I find a good pair of gloves helps with any vibration anyway. I also agree with your philosophy about the heated handles and liken it to the idea of electric windows (its just something else that can go wrong) :-)

Hi Jamesd, I find the 660 well balanced with a 30" bar, it cuts well and if you need to dig in the dogs and give it a bit of oomph it manages no problem. Yeah ive not missed the heated handles, (if your working hard enough you shouldn't need them haha!) I find a good pair of gloves helps with any vibration anyway. I also agree with your philosophy about the heated handles and liken it to the idea of electric windows (its just something else that can go wrong) :-)

Haha cheers thought i was the only one who thought that way. that's part the reason i went for a 660 before the 661 came out because of its all new electronic carb etc!

I'll get a 30" for it when funds allow then, the 36" is a bit nose heavy, which i don't like tbh.

Hi Pete, I have been pondering over the idea of a dual port exhaust and give it a bit of "axe men" style and ive seen plenty of chatting about modifications to their saws but it does make me wonder just how good that can be for them, although I don't have enough personal knowledge as ive never modified any of my saws in ten years.