Macrocarpa milling - timber properties and uses

Liam88

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi yeah its nice timber ,like Steve says ideal for outdoor furniture it has a nice warm look to it ,what type of mill is that I dont recognise it.

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi yeah its nice timber ,like Steve says ideal for outdoor furniture it has a nice warm look to it ,what type of mill is that I dont recognise it.

Looks like shelve racking been repurposed for milling. If so its a very clever idea. 

• Like 1

I was close to the board as I couldn't get back any further as the board was big!

Yes, Eagle eyes viewers it is pallet racking.

Best move ive ever made, had the idea for some time, and looking to develop it a bit more.

Boards are top quality and smooth as silk.

Not the fastest way as you have to adjust every cut(mill) not rails, but I don't mind that as the boards speak for themselves!

Been a lot of interest in them and have sold 4 so far.

That was a hench piece of timber, and have another set of rails that I will using as guides for smaller pieces on a double pallet.

Thats Thursdays pictures!

20200905_132357.jpg

20200905_130202.jpg

20200905_111100.jpg

• Like 4

On 08/09/2020 at 17:24, Big Beech said:

Not the fastest way as you have to adjust every cut(mill) not rails, but I don't mind that as the boards speak for themselves!

Do you drop the rails for every cut? Or do you leave the rails in place then allow the Alaskans legs to drop down to the required depth and lower the rails periodically when you run outta leg depth? 

Edited by trigger_andy

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Do you drop the rails for every cut? Or do you leave the rails in place then allow the Alaskans legs to drop down to the required depth and lower the rails periodically when you run outta leg depth? 

The main orange racking rails stay the same for 80% of the milling in their setup position. As long as the log does not protrude through the rails to snag the mill.Only adjustment made is to the mill legs.

• Like 1

Just now, Big Beech said:

The main orange racking rails stay the same for 80% of the milling in their setup position. As long as the log does not protrude through the rails to snag the mill.Only adjustment made is to the mill legs.

Ok cheers. Was a little confusing as it sounded like you where saying this method was slower than regular Alaskan Milling. 

1 hour ago, Big Beech said:

It probably is, as once the mill is set for a two inch slab and you don't need a different thickness then you carry on until the log is finished.

However in this set up you have to adjust EVERY cut.

Do you have the quick release handles for the legs? Makes adjusting much quicker. You're done within 90 seconds.