electric timber crane controls

biggarlogs

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget going with electronic controls unless they are proportional. Non-proportional controls make a crane unusable.

Going with a hydraulic servo control means that you will have a bundle of small hydraulic pipes and the actual control joysticks will be much lighter.

For about £2800+vat I can supply a valve that has hydraulic servos for the 2 main joysticks and electric controls for the legs and aux (extension and grab).

5976690309136_Electricvalve3.jpg.606df60fe00887c0865ab956954c68df.jpg

5976690306047_Electricvalve1.jpg.f78d08778a1f25ba2d9cd89ba342b62c.jpg

59766903031e9_Electricvalve2.jpg.3eaa36dacf7e3faa4e793c0a8fb7dca8.jpg

Jim,

Whitehouse hydraulics can supply a 1/2" ported 4 slice block with 2 directly connected "joysticks", for sub £600.00.(and I imagine 3/8" ud suffice)

I will leave the legs on the old fashioned slices, and "drive" my log grab through a 12V operated 6 port valve, for about £100.00.

I dont have a hydraulic extension function, though a glimmer yet grows in my eye.

So.

I could not justify the spend involved on your much tastier kit.

However? for my eddification.

I guess? the "servo" oil is "bled" off the main hydraulic supply through a pressure reducing regulator.

Is this correct?

marcus

Edited by difflock

Dammn that time limit on editing.

Gonna say, my next quite feasible project is to add a tractor PTO stub mounted and driven hydraulic pump.

To boost hyd pressure to near 3000psi

near 50% more than the David Brown's rated output.

Prob spring a few dodgy hoses an such.

but for near 50% more lifting capacity, well worth it.

cheers

m

Mmmm Jim you're getting me in a spending mood!

What can you do along the following lines?

Separate remote control as below,

With an appropriate block that can be mounted on the A-frame of my crane (presently a 7 slice antique).

I'm assuming that there would need to be a 12v and hydraulic supply direct to block and that moving the block on to a new crane in a couple of years would be viable?

Go on tempt me!:biggrin:

5976690312cd6_ScreenShot2014-05-09at15_55_30.png.8429946b54f2529a5434822ceaf19334.png

Hi Dave,

I have already asked for a price on the electronic proportional control.

I will ask also for a remote control price.

With regards to taking off the valve and fitting to a new crane, no issues, its just a normal valve on the hydraulic end of it.

Normal flow and return for the hydraulics, then 12V (usually though the sidelights on a 7 pin trailer socket). The crane end you just connect the pipes as normal.

So I can do a full proportional electonic control system (8 sections) for about £5000+vat. That comes with the mini joysticks as in forwarders etc.

Apparently fitting it can be a little complicated, as you have to program the unit to get the movement on the joysticks to correspond to the right ram speeds.

Full wireless version of the above is about £6000+vat