Been given a seedling

Granted but

blue river gum, red river gum, giant redwood, costal redwood, are all imports

and buddlia isn't even a tree

So of 6, 5 not native and one not even a tree. The one native that you claim mediocre has flowers that support a host of insects and its berries feed the masses.

Goat willow on the other hand forms a large dome blocking light to the ground and preventing nearly all growth

Just because it blocks a large portion of light, doesn't mean it isn't ecologically biodiverse, there are many mycorrhizal, parasitic and decay fungi associated with salicacea, dependant invertebrates and vertebrates such as poplar hawk moth and willow tits. As for shading, I've found all sorts growing under goat willows, ramsons, orchids, ferns, heathers, mallows, foxgloves and much more

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because it blocks a large portion of light, doesn't mean it isn't ecologically biodiverse, there are many mycorrhizal, parasitic and decay fungi associated with salicacea, dependant invertebrates and vertebrates such as poplar hawk moth and willow tits. As for shading, I've found all sorts growing under goat willows, ramsons, orchids, ferns, heathers, mallows, foxgloves and much more

But other trees have the same or similar associations and I have put a saw through more goat willow than I care to think about and under its canopy, it is largely sterile. Its good at propagating itself and not much else so I stand by my statement, kill it now.

Everything has a place but unless you are looking to green up a waste tip or old railway siding there are many equally worthy trees that don't share the unfortunate characteristics.

But other trees have the same or similar associations and I have put a saw through more goat willow than I care to think about and under its canopy, it is largely sterile. Its good at propagating itself and not much else so I stand by my statement, kill it now.

Everything has a place but unless you are looking to green up a waste tip or old railway siding there are many equally worthy trees that don't share the unfortunate characteristics.

But why be so dismissive? You have still failed to give an example, all you've done is tried to argue that the tree has no value! You said name another tree that is poor firewood, I named 4 and 2 shrubs that can grow to a decent diameter, you argued that 5 were non-native, you never stipulated that prior, you only complained of my parameters. So as I asked before, name a tree that pollards well and is equally biodiverse, if not better, whilst being fairly fast growing?

But why be so dismissive? You have still failed to give an example, all you've done is tried to argue that the tree has no value! You said name another tree that is poor firewood, I named 4 and 2 shrubs that can grow to a decent diameter, you argued that 5 were non-native, you never stipulated that prior, you only complained of my parameters. So as I asked before, name a tree that pollards well and is equally biodiverse, if not better, whilst being fairly fast growing?

Nope, those are your words that you are putting into my mouth. I never said that, I never said it was low on diversity in itself either but there are many other trees that are just as valuable from diversity point of view that wont dominate a garden or wherever else it grows.

You set conditions about what I could nominate but I am going to disregard them because you don't get to make the rules to suit your answers. Poplar is just as frisky at re growth and as a native will be waaay better than any gum or redwood for UK biodiversity.

Goat willow is a good coloniser but its a bit of a cockroach.

What wood is as poor for firewood? and don't name a Willow or Poplar

This is what you said, I named 7 in total, you never made any stipulation other than a non-salicacea, of which I met your demands, you mentioned about native trees, one still met that criteria. I lowered my stipulations and you still haven't named a single tree! You immediately told the OP to destroy the tree, but when given a reason to keep it, you can't even suggest a suitable alternative for the requirements I gave for its retention!

So I'm still waiting...

This is what you said, I named 7 in total, you never made any stipulation other than a non-salicacea, of which I met your demands, you mentioned about native trees, one still met that criteria. I lowered my stipulations and you still haven't named a single tree! You immediately told the OP to destroy the tree, but when given a reason to keep it, you can't even suggest a suitable alternative for the requirements I gave for its retention!

So I'm still waiting...

You missed the significance, I was paraphrasing your own restriction to emphasise how unfair it is to play a game where the other side makes the rules as they go along

You missed the significance, I was paraphrasing your own restriction to emphasise how unfair it is to play a game where the other side makes the rules as they go along

I didn't, sometimes you have to work to certain parameters though, from selection of species through to pruning techniques. You still failed to suggest a suitable alternative to a tree you instantly dismissed in the first post with no better reason than it makes poor firewood, which is contrary to what I have found, sure it isn't the best, but it'll start a fire. It produces shading if it gets too large.

BUT, it's still a fairly ecologically biodiverse tree that produces habitat for specific wildlife, some of which relies on the soft wood and quick rotting, so to back up your dismissal, suggest an alternative that would meet my criteria.

It's easy to complain how unfair stipulations are, do you moan to your tree officer when he limits what you can do on a tree? And I haven't changed the rules throughout the whole duration of the thread, other than lifting one to make it easier for you!

So, I'm STILL waiting on your answer, unless you can't come up with one?

By the time you two have finished arguing it'll be fully grown!

I've planted it now anyway so we'll see how it does. Considering my initial quote from the Woodland Trust was for 4,500 trees and I "only" planted 1,500, I think I've got space