Bigger BCS rotavator

scraggs

Well moving on from my post about power rakes I now have a BCS 740 electric start petrol with blec power rake but now want to get a rotavotor unit for it.

Now BCS do 2 sizes for the 740 a 66cm and an 80cm, I would like the 80 but wonder if anyone has any experience with it fitted on the 740 and if it is too big and bogs the machine down and should I just go with the 66.

It will be on a quick coupling so getting it through gates is not an issue.

Any opinions greatly appreciated

Congrats on a nice piece of kit, I used a 740 diesel manual start (thats another story lol) for two yrs on a walled garden (1 acre) used the 80cm no problem, those engines/gearing give loads of torque. Even had a rebar wrapped round the tines, had to take a grinder to it.

The Plough is also very good turns up house bricks so you can pick them up. Also the Sickle Bar on wild flower meadows.

Hi,

I dont have that machine but do a fair bit of cultivating, having a tiller with a Honda GX160 which I think is 5 HP, this drives 4 tines no problem.

I sometimes use a neighbours machine with the same Honda engine which has 6 tines & 2 gears & the engine is about half throttle perhaps for decent speed.

I suspect the difference in widths provide either 4 or 6 sets of tines & although the drive train is different, your 12Hp engine should pull it no problem.

N

Cheers for the replies.

Thought I would have a chat with tracmaster as looking through the parts manual it appears the 80cm can only use the light duty tines, they recommended the 66cm unit as it was built for the hire market and uses the heavy duty tines and we work on heavy clay in most of the area, so a 66cm ordered today

the heavy duty tines are the best they are so thick that will last ages if looked after. but tracmaster is the best bet to ask very good firm to deal with. and if working on heavy clay see if you can get some spade lugs to go on outside of wheels or put the metal spade lugs wheels on that will dig in and go through anything had them on one of my big machines and would work on boggy ground just pulled itself through.