Advice on New Zealand

tomrose.arb

I had my all my kit sent over viaa boat, it takes longer but didn't get checked, that's saws as well, write on boxes or kit, that it is rope access gear not arb gear.

Sorry bro but it's stupidity like that that enables diseases to get Into the country. Please don't try and ruin a very fragile ecology but advising stupid short cuts like that. If the gear is clean it won't get stopped when checked. I fly in and out with my gear all the time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mate, search on the net for company's etc.. there's plenty of company's looking for guys here. 18 months on the tools is a start and im sure you will do fine, but don't expect top dollar or to be climbing all the time. Tree work is quite different here but you will find out soon enough. Good luck and have fun!

I had my all my kit sent over viaa boat, it takes longer but didn't get checked, that's saws as well, write on boxes or kit, that it is rope access gear not arb gear.

What Drew said. That's just down right ignorant. We already have enough pests, diseases etc that we are struggling to deal with without people bringing in more in unchecked gear. Who knows what seeds and the like you might have in/on your gear.

Just wash all your gear before you come out and disinfect anything you think might need it. It's not that difficult and a lot of the time going through the something to declare channel is quicker that hanging around at passport check.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Does anyone have any tips for applying for a work visa? Feeling a tad overwhelmed after reading through pages and pages of forms online, also I'm pretty sure I've worked out what is required!

Easiest way is to get a job with someone like Asplundh; they'll do much of the paperwork for you. Otherwise, just fill in the papers, send em off with your money and passport and that's it.

Sorry bro but it's stupidity like that that enables diseases to get Into the country. Please don't try and ruin a very fragile ecology but advising stupid short cuts like that. If the gear is clean it won't get stopped when checked. I fly in and out with my gear all the time.

Thanks for the advice on my own country,i made sure my gear was clean.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Visa application is sorted! Right, a few more questions...

Getting your own climbing kit over:

How have people gone about this? Have you got it on the flight as hand luggage, or checked it in and risked it getting lost? (Drew I read on another thread that you put ropes/harnesses in check-in luggage and hardwear in hand luggage?) Also in terms of actually cleaning my gear does anyone have any tips? Or is it as simple as just putting your ropes through the washing machine and rinsing mechanicals in soapy water?

Travel insurance for a working holiday visa:

Does anyone have any companies they would recommend?

Apologies if some of my questions seem incredibly basic!

Just give everything a basic clean and it should be fine

I just checked in a northface bag with harness hardware and two ropes

No questions asked and I'm doing it all again in September

Good luck

Maybe your current employer (who just paid for your CS40/41) has some recommendations for companies to contact?

I have spoken to my current employer. But thank you for your concern...

Edited by tomrose.arb