Clearance/tidy up quote

Little Butch

Just been to look at a clearance, tidy up job. It's somebody that my nan vaguely knows and it's the first biggish job I've quoted so am after a bit of help.

It's just a load of strimming, hedge cutting stuff with about half a day of grass cutting. Am able to burn on site but will require a drag to the field next to the house.

So hopefully nothing will come away from the site, meaning I can turn up in my car with minimal tools.

I'm planning on getting a friend to work for me for the duration of the job and he'll basically just be there to drag/clear up so won't be on a massive wage.

How much would you say is a reasonable price per day all in? Fuel etc...

I'd say there's roughly a couple of weeks work but he was fairly vague in exactly what he wanted done so I think it'll be a case of just liaising as we go along.

He said they'd had a quote already which was way too expensive.

Any advice guys?

Just been to look at a clearance, tidy up job. It's somebody that my nan vaguely knows and it's the first biggish job I've quoted so am after a bit of help.

It's just a load of strimming, hedge cutting stuff with about half a day of grass cutting. Am able to burn on site but will require a drag to the field next to the house.

So hopefully nothing will come away from the site, meaning I can turn up in my car with minimal tools.

I'm planning on getting a friend to work for me for the duration of the job and he'll basically just be there to drag/clear up so won't be on a massive wage.

How much would you say is a reasonable price per day all in? Fuel etc...

I'd say there's roughly a couple of weeks work but he was fairly vague in exactly what he wanted done so I think it'll be a case of just liaising as we go along.

He said they'd had a quote already which was way too expensive.

Any advice guys?

Find out how much he has been quoted. Your gonna want £150 for yer sell and £60-80 for yer mate per day really.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks for the quick reply! Spoke to my mate, he said 60 a day which is fine... So if I say maybe 200 a day all in? Didn't want to make the mistake of going to low just to get the job then not making any decent money out of it hence asking for a bit of help.

If it was me it would be £320 per day for two people, all in with fuel but no rubbish away, as long as it wasn't more than 20 miles from base.

But if your just starting out and your happy with £200 and it covers all your costs then go for that.

Long term, remember whilst you don't want to appear to be expensive, there are things to pay for which when added to your day rate / hour rate cost price will eat into your profits / wage.

Insurance, machinery purchase servicing & replacement, vehicle running costs (inc. insurance, fuel, tax, repairs etc) all need to be considered when factoring a complete cost price on to which you can base your day / hour rate.

We were all in your shoes at one point or other so know how daunting it is, just be sensible with price and the increase can follow later once you have a name for yourselves.

Best of luck, J

Myself I would quote £320 a day for two men , including fuel for cutters etc

Do an hourly rate .. £20 easily

And then add a few hours ontop to cover the fuel costs etc

8-4 = £160 x 2 = £ 320 this would include fuel etc and if you feel your mate deserves a bit extra because he's worked hard then there's extra there

However if you feel it'd take say two days , drop your daily price a bit by say £20 a day taking it to say £300 a day . Never be too greedy dropping it by £20 could secure you the job .

Dan

I very rarely give a day rate. It frightens most people. Give them a cost for the job. If you think it'll take 2 weeks, tell them it'll be £2k. Give them an approximate idea of the time it'll take, otherwise they'll feel hard done by if you bang the work out in a week, even if you've worked your nuts off to do it and need 4 days to recover.

If you know what you're aiming for once you've got the job you can incentivise yourself and perhaps your crew to get the job done a bit more quickly.

Working hard out for a meagre day rate is demoralising and we don't do it. Been there tried it, didn't do it for long enough to get the t-shirt.

Once you start to make a list of all the costs through the year - insurance, fuel, repairs, holidays, time off for illness, spares, tax, training, first aid courses etc etc etc, - then you start to realise that it makes sense to charge a decent rate, maybe £140 for yourself(as you're just starting out), and £80 for your mate, but only pay him the £60, if that's what he wants. I realised that you make your real money employing others, but remember that you take responsibility for all their actions!!

Have you considered legality of burning? Are you burning FOR the customer or piling up ready for THEM to burn?

Are you paying the income tax for your helper or bunging him cash? You may get caught for his tax later unless you have his UTR.

Are you "employing" him? Do you have employees liability insurance?

Hope that doesn't sound negative but they're all potential pitfalls if not properly considered.

I doubt the customer will mind, they probably just want cheap, I doubt your mate will mind, he's getting cash. It'll be you taking all the responsibility.