I Need to get quicker at climbing

michael larder

Everyone has different opinions on how things should be done. Speed will come with confidence and that comes with time in the tree. Listen to others but make your own choices. I use a few different climbers and the best is quick but safe. Some have been just too gung-ho. Don't try to run before you can walk springs to mind:)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have10 years climbing experience. I only felt fully confident after about 4-5 years. It comes with time, and different times for different people. My top tips for speed are.

Always stay on your feet.

Good rope Managment.

Make as few cuts as possible, and don't over think where to make a cut.

"Don't think about it, just do it"

Is what was shouted at me when I was learning.

I found rock climbing has helped me a lot as well.

In general I echo the thought that speed comes with time. Rushing is dangerous. If you are efficient, precise and direct with your manoeuvres you will speed up.

Be safe.

Ed

Do the tree to suit you. crash out the biggest bit you can, that will keep them busy, then do a few wee easy bits, while eyeing up your next big kiboom!!

Drop heavy logs onto brash, make sure the branches are like a birds nest aswell, that will slow them down.

Shout down for a bigger saw and lowering rope, then when they are away, crash some more stuff down and shout ' it's ok, I don't need it now ' just as they have got it all out and saw fuelled.

A true climber is like a singer in a band, everyone else knows it and they don't like it, tough!

Either strap on the spikes and upy upy or get dragging.

A touch of arrogance is what your needing !!

:) :)

Oh and stay safe and listen to your elders .

I like it:001_smile::001_smile:

Don't focus too much on dashing around like a stabbed rat. Keep steady, plan your work as you go, and watch other climbers. If you keep it up one day you'll be slick and efficient and you won't have even noticed the transition.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

This!

I used to really want to become fast and was told I needed to be quicker... A few times I almost stopped climbing altogether because I thought I just wasn't cut out for it... Then after going for another job climbing almost seem to fit into place... My main problem I think was I rushed everything to try and become quicker and get in a tizz because It just didn't go to plan... I got thrown into the deep end being the only climber for a firm and made quite a lot of mistakes but I learnt a hell of a lot now without ever really thinking about it I have become a quick and component climber...

Most other things have been covered about learnin off other and what they do and planning your routes etc

The best way to become faster is to plan exactly what your going to do on the deck it's about efficiency that's what will make you faster.

Whatever plans you make on the deckare worth so little by the time you reach the canopy it aint worth stressing the point!

the only questions I ask myself from a ground viewpoint is, how big a set of rigging gear, do I need it? and is this so friggin knarly I should really be MEWPING it.

otherwise climb to the highest decent anchor, roll a fag and plot your path method.

Whatever plans you make on the deckare worth so little by the time you reach the canopy it aint worth stressing the point!

the only questions I ask myself from a ground viewpoint is, how big a set of rigging gear, do I need it? and is this so friggin knarly I should really be MEWPING it.

otherwise climb to the highest decent anchor, roll a fag and plot your path method.

Sound advice, tony. But if the op is an impressionable non smoker you may have just shortened his life :P

The best advice I read on here was by mark bolan and it was basically that a good climber gets the whole team finished fastest. If small bits constantly flowing are the best way don't be afraid to do it. No one will thank you for a massive brash pile which takes hours to untangle. The fastest and best days for me are when the groundy is bang upto date, whatever I ask for comes up fast because of this and we all Finnish roughly as I land.

The only other thing which I learned the hard way is picking a good anchor point to start with saves hours of struggles trying to work with a poor one.

Tucky