I Need to get quicker at climbing

michael larder

I have just over 1 years climbing experience and started a new job 1 month ago as a trainee climber.

The work we do is for the council so we have daily targets that we have to meet.

I have been told that my climbing is ok but i need to gain speed. They understand that it comes with time and they want me to do things right and safe for now but i still need to improve.

The guys who are training me are great and full of experience and have already given me advice on how things are done and what i need to do to improve. I just thought id come on here to get other climbers advice and tips on how to become a good climber.

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching other climbers helps you look at how they do things differently. Just go parks on days off and get climbing. The more you climb the more confident you become and again that's where speed increases. However too much confidence can lead to accidents.

Watching other climbers helps you look at how they do things differently. Just go parks on days off and get climbing. The more you climb the more confident you become and again that's where speed increases. However too much confidence can lead to accidents.

Thanks i got told the same thing about having too much confidence can lead to accidents or things going wrong

I work for a sub-contractor in London on a council contract, so i know what you mean about wanting to up your speed.

Speed comes with time, and the best way to get that is to spend time in trees.

I'm still learning, and have been on this contract for 2 and a bit years. When i was starting I tried to do a tree a day, even if it was the tiny GP at the end of the day. At least it was a tree!

I work for a sub-contractor in London on a council contract, so i know what you mean about wanting to up your speed.

Speed comes with time, and the best way to get that is to spend time in trees.

I'm still learning, and have been on this contract for 2 and a bit years. When i was starting I tried to do a tree a day, even if it was the tiny GP at the end of the day. At least it was a tree!

I only completed my tickets (cs 38, 39, 40) two years ago and have been working with a big utility company for a year now. The big challenge/frustration for me, as third climber, is to get quicker when I'm getting so little climbing/pruning experience(once a month if I'm lucky!). It's a catch-22. So I do as much private tree work as comes my way to gain experience.:thumbup1:

Plan your route carefully, Be smooth and efficient.

It's better to stop for 10 seconds and look and plan rather than climb around the tree realise you've missed something or your rope angle is rubbish and have to climb back up 20ft to make adjustments or to cut something you've missed

As said above aswell by CJM

Adding to the above comments;

Watch the other climbers and try to predict the route they'll take and how they'll go about the tree. When they go the way you thought you've embedded some of the information. When they go a different way, assuming the way they go is the best way, you'll learn a bit more. Question them about how they pick their routes and how they cut. Most of us who've been doing it for a few years do stuff subconsciously so when we're questioned we really have to think about it to try to put it into a form of words that are clear and impart the relevant information.

Don't try to do stuff you see in a tree, or on the ground, without first challenging/questioning their thought processes. They'll most likely have a good level of competence and experience that allows them to monitor hazards whilst doing tricky, seemingly risky moves.

To improve in any aspect of life one has to push the comfort zone. Done in a progressive and planned way is good. Done without care is bad. Care from the one doing the learning and care from the one over-seeing.

Adding to the above comments;

Watch the other climbers and try to predict the route they'll take and how they'll go about the tree. When they go the way you thought you've embedded some of the information. When they go a different way, assuming the way they go is the best way, you'll learn a bit more. Question them about how they pick their routes and how they cut. Most of us who've been doing it for a few years do stuff subconsciously so when we're questioned we really have to think about it to try to put it into a form of words that are clear and impart the relevant information.

Don't try to do stuff you see in a tree, or on the ground, without first challenging/questioning their thought processes. They'll most likely have a good level of competence and experience that allows them to monitor hazards whilst doing tricky, seemingly risky moves.

To improve in any aspect of life one has to push the comfort zone. Done in a progressive and planned way is good. Done without care is bad. Care from the one doing the learning and care from the one over-seeing.

Well said