Is it legal

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to illustrate the point in my previous post, however I think I need to expand upon it. As I understand the process of climbing, we are taught to climb the tree, remaining secured to it as we progress. Our climbing systems are therefore primarily work positioning. If however we climb "on rope" then we would have to adhere to the same rules & regulations as the IRATA guys under the WAHR regulations.

So whether you work SRT or dDRT, when you write you RA's & methods of work etc you have to be concise & accurate in your terminology. Either can be be justified in work positioning or access in my opinion as I could not find an exclusion.

Here is a good place to start;

Tree climbing

I tried to illustrate the point in my previous post, however I think I need to expand upon it. As I understand the process of climbing, we are taught to climb the tree, remaining secured to it as we progress. Our climbing systems are therefore primarily work positioning. If however we climb "on rope" then we would have to adhere to the same rules & regulations as the IRATA guys under the WAHR regulations.

So whether you work SRT or dDRT, when you write you RA's & methods of work etc you have to be concise & accurate in your terminology. Either can be be justified in work positioning or access in my opinion as I could not find an exclusion.

Here is a good place to start;

Tree climbing

Yes my understanding is the same and just because you cannot find acops for single fixed line instead of a single line doubled does not mean its illegal or not approved. Fill in your RAMS as best you can with the information available to you and get on with it. Like you say most sites are now getting very hot on ensuring you meet industry good practice and as long as your package ticks the boxes I doubt very much they would be able to tell their schwabisch from their valdotain tress so crack on.

I often climb on 2 ropes And Prusik .

So double DDRT.

I would definately use SRT if I worked with another climber or trained groundsman on the right trees.

My work is mostly topping conifers and Sycsmores or felling them.

When I do have a big old tree needing a limb removed and there's no lower limbs, double rope and Prusik is hard hard work.

As far as a single line being safer on a healthy limb, I feel that's bad judgement on the climbers part and also SRT puts twice the force on a limb/crotch as double.(I'm pretty sure )

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I often climb on 2 ropes And Prusik .

So double DDRT.

I would definately use SRT if I worked with another climber or trained groundsman on the right trees.

My work is mostly topping conifers and Sycsmores or felling them.

When I do have a big old tree needing a limb removed and there's no lower limbs, double rope and Prusik is hard hard work.

As far as a single line being safer on a healthy limb, I feel that's bad judgement on the climbers part and also SRT puts twice the force on a limb/crotch as double.(I'm pretty sure )

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Sort puts twice the force on if it's tied to a base anchor. If it's just choked at the top then it's the same as regular drt.

If it's in a base anchor it's pulling from the bottom of the tree and from the weight of the climber but choked it's just the weight of the climber

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not in the past month of always being tied in to two ropes found any situation where the second line causes additional hazard. I can not think of any situation where it would. To me it makes perfect sense in a work at height environment where we are exposing ourselves to swings, falls, and sharp tools

If a single rope is tied as a base anchor, it also means a lot more rope is in the system, meaning more stretch in the system, meaning LESS force is generated on the climber and the crotch during a fall than in a canopy tied anchor. If the canopy tied anchor is doubled than there is even half the stretch available and impact forces Will be higher.

when is everyone going to throw away the sheeple cover...THERE IS NO LEGALL OR ILEGALL, there is only advice given by various self apointed bodies, these actually have NO authority in law, contrary to what anyone may think, you can climb with anything you want,you may upset some of the H&S nazis, and they will try to raise a prosecution, but ask them to show you what LAW has been broken, and stick to your guns, for too long we have knuckled down to a group of authoritive bodies who are only out to line there own pockets by saying" you must climb this wayor else, and pay us "x" amount to learn , or we'll see you in court"