Is it legal

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no doubt the srt brigade will be along shortly to clear things up. I can think of 2 occasions where a colleague has been saved by srt, both anchor point failures in healthy trees (gum and poplar) resulting in a slight fall to the next crotch as opposed to the deck if they'd been on DdRT.[/quote

sounds like he's pushing his luck on the anchor points , i doubt he would have roped in as high if it was his only psp.

I've done minimal climbing srwp but i found myself pushing smaller crotches higher up for that exact reason , tie in nice and safe then go through a few more to get out to where you need to go , if your not thinking about working angles and forces you may come into a little trouble.

mind you that being said i wouldn't classify gum or pop as the most reliable of wood.

I think Adam Bourne posted a video on just how lethal SRT opposed to Ddrt.

These guys clearly have no sense of self preservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

SRWP climbers use one rope and a lanyard.

DdRT climbers use one rope and a lanyard.

The difference being a different hitch device.

How is one more lethal than the other?

It appears to me that oldestnewbie main concern maybe that there is no current industry good practice guide which references srtwp only the outdated guide he is refering to and using for his RAMS.

Oldestnewbie I would not worry about it to much as the guide your referencing is already out of date and need updating which hopefully will come out in the next few years.

I've no doubt the srt brigade will be along shortly to clear things up. I can think of 2 occasions where a colleague has been saved by srt, both anchor point failures in healthy trees (gum and poplar) resulting in a slight fall to the next crotch as opposed to the deck if they'd been on DdRT.

Saved by SRT! Whatever next, I cannot see how SRT is a safer technique than DRT.

There is misuse of the term SRT in my opinion as DDRT is also a single rope technique. I can't think of one difference as far as safety between using one rope Or one rope folded.

I have lately been using two ropes on every climb (DRT) to much success. I find it very useful in many situations.

Edited by kevin bingham

It was tongue in cheek OMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Does anyone undergo training specifically for SRT. As CS38 teaches DRT to use SRT in the work environment is doing some thing you are untrained in, would this not affect insurance etc. and get the HSE's attention in the event of an accident.

Just curious as in our company you cannot do anything without the correct qualifications.

Stuart.

Does anyone undergo training specifically for SRT. As CS38 teaches DRT to use SRT in the work environment is doing some thing you are untrained in, would this not affect insurance etc. and get the HSE's attention in the event of an accident.

Just curious as in our company you cannot do anything without the correct qualifications.

Stuart.

Umm what qualifications? There currently is none, just some extremely basic courses over a few days to teach you the very basics, after that it's down to you to improve and move on. It takes years and self motivation to improve otherwise we would all be climbing on prussiks and both ends of our line.