Is it legal

when is everyone going to throw away the sheeple cover...THERE IS NO LEGALL OR ILEGALL, there is only advice given by various self apointed bodies, these actually have NO authority in law, contrary to what anyone may think, you can climb with anything you want,you may upset some of the H&S nazis, and they will try to raise a prosecution, but ask them to show you what LAW has been broken, and stick to your guns, for too long we have knuckled down to a group of authoritive bodies who are only out to line there own pockets by saying" you must climb this wayor else, and pay us "x" amount to learn , or we'll see you in court"

and as a p.s. to those who start bleating puwer, loler, and H&S, these are ACTS and STATUTES, and unless you give your consent to be controlled by them, are meaningless

I'm not sure those have been fined thousands would agree with you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when is everyone going to throw away the sheeple cover...THERE IS NO LEGALL OR ILEGALL, there is only advice given by various self apointed bodies, these actually have NO authority in law, contrary to what anyone may think, you can climb with anything you want,you may upset some of the H&S nazis, and they will try to raise a prosecution, but ask them to show you what LAW has been broken, and stick to your guns, for too long we have knuckled down to a group of authoritive bodies who are only out to line there own pockets by saying" you must climb this wayor else, and pay us "x" amount to learn , or we'll see you in court"

I think people should use the term best practice rather than legall or ilegall because I'am sure your not going to prison for not always using everything by the book. Health and safety has done a lot of research and no doubt is a necessary thing in the industry especially when employing staff but if your working on your own surely it's down to common sense. Just my point of view though.

Health and Safety have done feck all research, they go and ask the so called "experts" and commitees what there opinions are, then write a little booklet to allow us to comply with there nanny ideas, there is to much "protective" opinion out there, it cases restrictive practices and stymies development of new and better working practices, common sense is almost a bad word these days, if it does, in fact , still exscist, todays youth are being taught to comply, rather than think for themselves, how often of late have you seen a young 'un actually do something constructive without being told to, pretty soon were going to be a nation off "If its not written in a little booklet, we cant do it", we despetraly need a return to the "you need to think for yourself " values that are being lost, the nation of followers and sheeple is growing

Health and Safety have done feck all research, they go and ask the so called "experts" and commitees what there opinions are, then write a little booklet to allow us to comply with there nanny ideas, there is to much "protective" opinion out there, it cases restrictive practices and stymies development of new and better working practices, common sense is almost a bad word these days, if it does, in fact , still exscist, todays youth are being taught to comply, rather than think for themselves, how often of late have you seen a young 'un actually do something constructive without being told to, pretty soon were going to be a nation off "If its not written in a little booklet, we cant do it", we despetraly need a return to the "you need to think for yourself " values that are being lost, the nation of followers and sheeple is growing

I agree but alas I can't see the clocks going back.

Much of what you say is true, but it won't stop you getting prosecuted and fined.

IME, if your professional and good at what you do people won't be looking at your rope configuration, etc.

I have not in the past month of always being tied in to two ropes found any situation where the second line causes additional hazard. I can not think of any situation where it would. To me it makes perfect sense in a work at height environment where we are exposing ourselves to swings, falls, and sharp tools

Does this not make working a 3D tree difficult? I have used 2 anchor points in the past and will again I personally found it made working the crown more difficult and no safer than just using a single line and supplementary lanyard for positioning.

No, I don't find it gets in the way much at all and it actually makes setting and going through redirects easier. It also means I don't have to feck with my lanyard all the time. When climbing SRT I find I cheat a lot and don't use my lanyard when I should because that would be tedious. With DRT I can just cruise through the tree cutting at will with excellent work positioning. My ability to get to the tips of the branches is greater with DRT than with SRT because I can alternate my redirects and never place my full weighat in the tree. Advantages and disadvantages. But so far I have really enjoyed it. Working with two ropes gives a lot of options.

It takes practice thoughost and you have to keep everything clear. Two bridges is also a must for climbing drt.

I've no doubt the srt brigade will be along shortly to clear things up. I can think of 2 occasions where a colleague has been saved by srt, both anchor point failures in healthy trees (gum and poplar) resulting in a slight fall to the next crotch as opposed to the deck if they'd been on DdRT.

Quite possible that the high point or redirect failed 'because' he was using Srt, as opposed to DdRT....due to 2:1 (or not quite) effect on the crotch with that set-up.

I prefer the term SRT as to refer to the fact that you're attached to a single part or leg of the line, DdRT for the same reason....before you start Kevin. I dont care how many lines make up the chain.

I thought SRT was 'static rope technique', not 'single rope technique'. Cuts out the confusion of one or two ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

:lol: with this and Mr Bingham refering to 2 static lines as DRT I'm sure confusion has jumped up a notch and is yet again another topic all by itself. The thing is with refering to static rope technique is I can imagine some getting confused with the type of rope used, as many believe we climb on dynamic ropes.

Kevin sounds interesting, and I can get a picture in my mind that 2 single lines could make working from 2 separate ropes/anchors easier/efficient/safer than 2 ropes doubled which from my experiences was a pain in the ass and did not improve safety or efficiency in anything but the right scenario.

I often used to climb with a 10m lanyard with the tail stuffed into a hip bag, using the full 10m to good effect in a single line config and I could easily make and additional lanyard using the spliced eye end of my climbing line with the hitch climber system mean I'd have 3 points of tie in and still have good movement to position.