Is it legal

Its only since I started reading on here that I discovered (but not tried) the recent trend for SRTWP. I can see the advantages, but having to recently spend ages putting together in depth RAMS for one of our subcontractors to work on a large construction firm site for which I utilised reference to the Arb Association's Guide to good climbing practice, it occurs to me that it may not be strictly legal, i.e. should there always be a safety back up rope in place.. I would be interested in how people have got around this. There's an overlap with Rope Access techniques I think which needs to be clarified.

Possibly been covered before...if so apologies etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no doubt the srt brigade will be along shortly to clear things up. I can think of 2 occasions where a colleague has been saved by srt, both anchor point failures in healthy trees (gum and poplar) resulting in a slight fall to the next crotch as opposed to the deck if they'd been on DdRT.

Its only since I started reading on here that I discovered (but not tried) the recent trend for SRTWP. I can see the advantages, but having to recently spend ages putting together in depth RAMS for one of our subcontractors to work on a large construction firm site for which I utilised reference to the Arb Association's Guide to good climbing practice, it occurs to me that it may not be strictly legal, i.e. should there always be a safety back up rope in place.. I would be interested in how people have got around this. There's an overlap with Rope Access techniques I think which needs to be clarified.

Possibly been covered before...if so apologies etc.

I think you mean, not conforming to industry best practice, its definitely not illegal, there would have to be a law prohibiting it for that to be the case

Pretty much every tree climber breaks the rules. Rope access work should be undertaken with two ropes one work line and one safety line both of which should be attached to the climber and long enough to enable easy rescue. What hse also state though if risk assessment justifies that one line is safer as two would hinder then use one and a work positioning strop. This has become best practice within tree work.

srt is another technique which as ddrt has safety implications. Just select anchor points accordingly and don't cut your rope. Also use work positioning lanyard.

Pretty much every tree climber breaks the rules. Rope access work should be undertaken with two ropes one work line and one safety line both of which should be attached to the climber and long enough to enable easy rescue. What hse also state though if risk assessment justifies that one line is safer as two would hinder then use one and a work positioning strop. This has become best practice within tree work.

srt is another technique which as ddrt has safety implications. Just select anchor points accordingly and don't cut your rope. Also use work positioning lanyard.

What if the rope is being used as fall arrest & work positioning ass opposed to access? We climb. The tree, not the rope in my book