RHI registered producers and suppliers

ballibeg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently purchased some Birch (fresh cut) from someone that has applied for the new scheme and the wood came from a source that will be also applying, it was no where near £85 per ton.

I spoke with a couple of people about this scheme and the belief was if you can get the wood to the person using it before the scheme comes in then it is ok( as long as it meets with original RHI wood source requirements) . If i had space i would be getting as much wood onsite, just in case.

Just as another point I still have my original oil system as do many of the other installs round about me, if wood gets to expensive compared to oil i will just switch back to the old heating. This may or may not put a cap on what local wood guys can charge.

It will produce a 2 tier market. Woodlands certified as sustainable able to supply RHI and the power stations with very high prices due to supply and demand. Woodlands not certified will add to the timber from tree surgery to create an overall glut. I can still see a market for non sustainable hardwood but non sustainable softwood prices will fall though the floor.

Hmmm - that will indeed be a first then - I rather suspect that as with all other certification schemes any premium to the producer will be short lived indeed and that the market will rapidly level off to a point where the premium barely covers the cost of certification - if in fact it does cover it.

FSC is a case in point - anyone seeking to shift large volumes of timber essentially has to be FSC certified and there is no premium in the timber price that I am aware of.

Timber is simply not a viable fuel in the domestic market and it certainly would not be at £80 per tonne roadside - nor would it be anywhere close to competitive with hydrocarbons at that level - or anywhere near it.

Cheers

mac

My cousin just sold his load to a customer at 85 per ton and customer wants a few more at that price...?

I like everyone else thinks the price is to high to be sustainable so why are people so desperate that they will pay the new RHI price...? Seems a little sinister to me.

Strike me that the timber market maybe a little like the housing market everybody knows there's a problem yet the prices keep climbing!

My cousin just sold his load to a customer at 85 per ton and customer wants a few more at that price...?

I like everyone else thinks the price is to high to be sustainable so why are people so desperate that they will pay the new RHI price...? Seems a little sinister to me.

Strike me that the timber market maybe a little like the housing market everybody knows there's a problem yet the prices keep climbing!

Fear and propaganda at the moment, for example selling wood that meets new RHI guidelines when the new guidelines don't take effect for months.

I don't think we will know the full picture regarding prices for a couple of years.

Selling direct to the RHI claimant and lack of good hardwood are also a factor.

I spoke with a couple of people about this scheme and the belief was if you can get the wood to the person using it before the scheme comes in then it is ok( as long as it meets with original RHI wood source requirements) . If i had space i would be getting as much wood onsite, just in case.

I really wish that was the case, but the wording of the announcement to RHI folks:

From Autumn 2014 (no earlier than 1st October 2014), biomass fuel used by RHI participants must meet a lifecycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions target of 34.8g CO2 equivalent per MJ of heat, or

60% GHG savings against the EU fossil fuel average.

What this means for RHI participants:

All RHI participants using biomass feedstocks in their installation will need to comply with the sustainability requirements from the date the criteria come into force.

suggests that it is the using of and not the purchase date that matters.

Which is a bit of a problem if you factor the time it takes wood to season into account.

When I read that I phoned them up and asked them what I was supposed to do with my existing woodpile that has been sourced from sustainable woodlands but is busy seasoning on a 2 year cycle - they had no answer.

Just made a wee call and the guy said that information regarding current wood stocks had not been made available to them (or anyone as yet) so know one knows what's happening but he said there are 3 option

1. Current wood supplied by someone who then goes on to be on the list would be ok. (He thought this the most likely)

2. All wood that meets current standards would be ok as long as purchased before the date.

But he did say that they may not let you use any wood purchased from someone who is not accredited.

I am not quite catching the drift of this. Are we talking domestic RHI or commercial because I was planning on just using waste which is obviously not compliant with the regs

The rules strangely have not yet been set in stone so no one can give a clear answer at present, but yes you can burn whatever you want just don't expect to get any subsidy from the government for it...? We think those that become certified can jack up the price of product whilst also being able to offset costs so long as you tow the government line.

Rumors are circulating that they want to enforce similar rules on small and medium log merchants also but like I say it's not very clear right now.