The Dogs!

GTS

Border terrier is the arb/ forestry dog I have had two over the years. I don't walk mine he comes to work every day mills around the yard comes to forestry work we do he sits in machines or sleeps in the van best bread for our work! Also amazing with kids

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a TT before the labradoodle, he was nuts!! :001_smile:

Yeah but nuts in a good way. Ours is a vertical take off when the postie calls, he normally bounces up n down to head height on the other side of the glass. Most recently he bounces on the windowsill at owt that dares to walk past. That said absolutely brilliant dog.

image.jpg.fc463a99031d43cc5a183a4e373faa40.jpg

Gardenmac,

You mention your TT's behavouir developing/changing.

Interestingly most of our rescue dogs have probably taken a couple of years to "come till" themselves.

Generally start out entirely silent (beaten as a pup for barking perhaps), & only "learn" to bark after a couple of years with us.

Wor Rottyrador barked (once!) as the Postvan left recently.

The first time I have heard him speak in over 2 years.

And MOST impressive.

He, at about 4 years old, also finally seems to be going through a puppy phase, playing with the other dogs.

All very interesting to observe.

m

Hi GTS, have you thought about a rescue dog?

There are far too many in rescue that are waiting to find a forever home. Many sadly will be killed due to over capacity but yet people can breed at home without licence which is adding to the growing problem.

Many rescue centres have pups aswell from dogs brought in, in pregnancy.

Worth a thought.

I'm no arb guy, but my spaniel comes to work with me most days and sits in the van happily while working then I get her out for a run between jobs.

for me the best breed of dog you can have as long as you get a working bred not one of the silly massive curly haired show bred one (no offence to any one with such a type)

597668f4814eb_bLACKBERRYPICS040712304.jpg.f3cab38b687f21d30aff6de5c16ae94f.jpg

Handsome hound.

I think we'll get a spaniel of some sort (not the King Charles type, maybe a springer or cocker) one day. Had lots of collies previously - lovely dogs and intelligent, but need lots of exercise and stimulation. My dad recently got a golden retriever - lovely little thing. A bit bitey (puppy teeth) but great fun. Doesn't need too much exercise, happy to sleep in the car for hours at a time etc.

No offence to them that have them but I'm not much of a fan of most pedigree breeds that are only bred for show as it normally brings all sorts of (expensive) health problems. I think you could do a lot worse than something from the kennels. I love my lurchers. Calm natured and intelligent and eager to please. The terriers and spaniels are good dogs as well that haven't been spoiled by ridiculous KC standards

Hybrid vigour every time.

That was what stuck to our 12 or 13 year old "bastard" Mastiff.

When we have been repeatedly told 8 or 9 years is all that could be expected, from these pedigree breeds.

His father may (or indeed may not) have been pedigree, but his mother was a mongrel staffie mastiff cross bitch.

The Mastiff genes from the father appeared to "win", but the hybrid vigour was all there.

Hi Kenty,

Yes I have thought about that. Funnily enough, here in Brum there is the big old rescue centre and specifically a greyhound rescue home too. Im just making up my mind as to what would suit us before I walk into somewhere like that, it would be a tough choice to see all those dogs in one place....