Tree Micro Injection

ScottF

Attended the first LANTRA training design/implementation session for the new Tree Micro Injection competency. I've been discussing this with Dr Dealga O'Callaghan, who's looking looking to adapt this technology for the UK with the firm which produces the chemicals ands applicator for a couple of years now and they've developed what looks like a good system.

In a simlar way to the Arbor-Jet or other US technology, the Syngenta micro-injection systems provides and means of injecting very small doses of pesticide in a tree through small holes in order to combat pests such as OPM and horse chestnut leaf borer, as well as possible other exotic threats on the horizon. The apparent difference between the Syngenta device and some others I've seen and used is that it's essentially a closed system, whereby the chemical is taken is very small (ca. 5ml) doses from a sealed pressurise container into a small hole with a biodegradable 1-way plug into the tree.

ALl of the product information and LANTRA training documents are in their final draft now, but are pretty close. As soon as the definitive versions are produced, I'll be posting them here.

LANTRA are hoping to have the CRD and BASIS-approved training ready by the end of the summer. Then we and others will hopefully be providing training over the Winter and all being well the product will be approved in time for the Spring 2015 growing season.

had a chance to control opm when it first landed, but couldn't get a licence!

I see now. Syngenta has been working on the delivery system for around 7 years, I gather and have been doing field trials in Switzerland for 4 years or so. The chemical itself is already in use for a number of other applications, so it's effectively an off-label application for the UK they're applying for, but it's still taking quite a while.

They're expecting approaval before Spring 2015.

• 2 months later...

Saw this demo'd in may in Cannock Chase and was surprised how big the drill holes were and close together. From what I remember dealga said it lasts up to three years or at least that's as long as trials have been going. What's the effect of regular drilling around the base on something with poor wound response (Codit) such as hc? are there no plans for a soil drench alternative which is less invasive?

Saw this demo'd in may in Cannock Chase and was surprised how big the drill holes were and close together. From what I remember dealga said it lasts up to three years or at least that's as long as trials have been going. What's the effect of regular drilling around the base on something with poor wound response (Codit) such as hc? are there no plans for a soil drench alternative which is less invasive?

The issue with soil drench revolves around the introduction of pesticides into the wider environment, with the likelihood of adverse effects upon soil micro/macro fauna, many of which are essential for overall environmental health. The wounding caused by stem injection is certainly an issue, but probably a lower overall risk than soil or canopy drenching. This could maybe be complimented with the application of salicylic acid to boost the tree's vigour and response mechanisms? This is just a thought thrown into the mixer! :001_rolleyes: