2008 Networking

Lee Winger

Networking in business, ie standng in a bar supping a glass of wine & gossipping, is taken very seriously. I saw that in the Conservation of the planning of the City of London, that the preservation of the little side alleys to small bars is considered so highly that they will not bull doze and re-build. So much business has been generated in these areas, it has kept London at the top of the financial tree for centuries. To quote the Planning officer "Gossip oils the wheels of industry"

Yes, the "breakfast clubs" cost to join, but £500 is just a days money, the connections can be far reaching, in any business, its not what you know but who! Saying that, I'd rather just "network" down the pub.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is good advice EastYorkshireTrees. Marketing goes way further than an ad in Yellow Pages.

This sounds scary but it honestly works. The simplest and quickest thing you can do to improve the positioning of your business in the eyes of your customers is increase your prices.

Networking is the way to push your business forward. and mostly, its free. Network in the right places with the right people and you wont ever need to advertise, cos the network will do it for you.

I've joined two business networks; one is better than the other. If you join a Lead based network you have to supply leads as well as receive them and can be frowned upon if you don't. The other type of club allows you to get advice from other business heads and can lead to meeting those managing directors, CEO, blue chip companies. They all love having a tree surgeon in their midst as their jobs are sooo dull and i've tripled my money since joining.

Also, every time i meet anyone i tell them what i do and i try to engage people in conversation that will help remind them of me. Your first and last sales strategy is yourself though; be smart say the right things and don't apologise for being slightly more expensive; you are a pro after all.

Its all about knowing who your target clients are, and aiming for them. There are sooo many other ways, but I dont want to give you all my "cheap" tricks, or you may steal work off me, and in effect steal designer clothes from me missus, and that would be bad, believe me. hahaha.

one quick tip tho, find out when the local gardening competitions are, speak to the organisers, and donate a prize (not a pair of gloves Steve), i.e a TREE.

The people who are involved with these events are always keen gardeners and nature enthusiasts, all of whom probably struggle to keep their larger shrubs/hedges/trees under control. OH thats where you come in. It's easy. Just think outside the box. Why do you advertise in yellow pages? Because everyone else does? because you tried it and found you get most of your work that way?

I dont boo-hoo all advertising tho, I just dont feel the need at the moment. If you do, then make sure you set yourself a budget, stick to it, and always ask people where they got your number. That way at the end of the year (advert renewal date) you can summarise how worthwhile it was.