One off CC payment - use Paypal?

Hi Guys,

Customer has just asked if i can take credit cards, i don't want to get into card readers and monthly agreements as i looked at it before and wasn't worth doing.

Paypal appears to be an option however it looks like it'll cost me up to 3.4% plus £0.20 to £2, but then free to transfer to the company's bank account. Not sure the customer would like that on top of the bill (works have already been priced) and i certainly don't want to swallow it. Plus the Paypal account was hacked only four days ago:thumbdown:

Any other reasonable options?

Regards,

Steve.

If it has to be a credit card then they can send you payment as a gift via paypal and load it onto their credit cards. By doing this though they forgo their rights of paypal protection but it means you get the payment without the fee’s (they do not pay any fee’s either apart from CC fee's)

As you are not sending them a product then they don’t need the protection paypal offers, the one thing I don’t know is if there is a limit on the amount you can send as a gift.

Edited by Nick Watkins

Cheers Nick,

There are fees due because of the use of a credit card which is what i'm trying to lower.

From Paypal's opening page - Send or receive money between friends and family and we won’t charge you anything, unless the payment is funded by a credit card

Regards,

Steve.

EDIT - You edited while i was typing !

So it looks like issue invoice for works, customer sends gift of money to paypal account which i transfer to personal bank account then forward to business bank account, no fees for me and customer has paypal take from his card.

Simples :wink:

Regards,

Steve.

If the agreement that they would pay on a credit card was not made clear as they confirmed their quote / you completed the work, then simply state that card payments will be plus the percentage.

After all it is not your problem how they wish to pay for something?

Hi,

AFAIK PayPal UK is an organisation based in Luxembourg therefore operate (conveniently for them) outside the consumer credit act and other UK laws.

Personally wouldn't touch them with a very long barge pole if I were you

N

• 1 year later...

slightly off topic, a company who we are regularly working for are asking to pay via paypal (they will cover the additional fees). But, I'm not sure I want to add something else to my list of things to juggle. I think our current list of payment methods (cash, card, cheque) is sufficient.

Any thoughts? The work is a big part of our income so I don't want to rock the boat too much but paypal seems like more pain than its worth.