Tree pruning by electric company - should I let them?

aesmith

Question

Hi,

I have a guy from SSE coming to see me on Saturday to discuss cutting back one of our trees to increase clearance from their 11kV line. I have no problem in principle, but was wondering whether I should let them go ahead, or arrange the work myself. Do these power distribution guys normally do a decent job, with the work done by a proper tree surgeon or at least by someone who considers the affect on the tree?

Also, looking at it from another angle, how close to 11kV lines would an independent arborist be happy working?

I just wanted to get a bit of an opinion so I know how to play it when the guy comes round.

Thanks, Tony S

• Answers 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Really, my understanding was that it is the land owners responsibility not to allow their vegetation to encroach on the dno's network. Though in reality the power line company's maintain the clearance of the trees free of charge. I may well be incorrect but thought that is how it is.

HI MARC i would thought you would no as your on this all the time well done MARC ARE YOU GOING TO THE ARB SHOW THANKS JON :thumbup:

An aside, but this seems like an appropriate thread:

We have bought the field next to us, which adjoins roads on two sides and has lines running along the edge (I think they are phone lines as they are only single line - I will be checking this before doing anything)

I want to hedge it properly but would ideally leave some standards in along the length. Is there anything fundamentally stopping me from doing this, particularly if they are phone lines - the thinking is to run them up high enough to the crown that there are no side branches until clear above the lines.

Alec

Beside the cables, Subject to no trees having TPO's and its not in a conservation area you can sort the hedge out as you wish, if either the above apply planning needs to be got from your local authority, to fell or prune them. In the interest of wildlife proceed with the work outside of the breeding season, and make sure nothing is hibernating, so as not to fall fowl of wildlife laws.

Beside the cables, Subject to no trees having TPO's and its not in a conservation area you can sort the hedge out as you wish, if either the above apply planning needs to be got from your local authority, to fell or prune them. In the interest of wildlife proceed with the work outside of the breeding season, and make sure nothing is hibernating, so as not to fall fowl of wildlife laws.

Thanks all for the comments - I'll have to figure how to distinguish abc cables from BT but otherwise sounds like I should be fine - maintaining 2m wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I should perhaps have made it clearer - at the moment there is no hedge or fence whatsoever - field is completely open to an A-road, which is just inviting nomadic types to drive straight on. I want to plant up a hedge, which will be laid in due course, but would like to plant it with some standards of my choice, specifically some disease resistant elm which I have been propagating for the purpose. No problem getting the height to be well clear of the lines and my grandchildren should have a really majestic view if it works.

Alec

Thanks all for the comments - I'll have to figure how to distinguish abc cables from BT but otherwise sounds like I should be fine - maintaining 2m wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I should perhaps have made it clearer - at the moment there is no hedge or fence whatsoever - field is completely open to an A-road, which is just inviting nomadic types to drive straight on. I want to plant up a hedge, which will be laid in due course, but would like to plant it with some standards of my choice, specifically some disease resistant elm which I have been propagating for the purpose. No problem getting the height to be well clear of the lines and my grandchildren should have a really majestic view if it works.

Alec

Easiest way is to check the poles, especially ones with stay wires. Electricity poles have danger of death signs, yellow tags with numbers on (if new), the stay wires have insulator blocks, or wooden planks! Finally look at the cable mounts, if in doubt, post a photo, Alec!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Easiest way is to check the poles, especially ones with stay wires. Electricity poles have danger of death signs, yellow tags with numbers on (if new), the stay wires have insulator blocks, or wooden planks! Finally look at the cable mounts, if in doubt, post a photo, Alec!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Thanks Eddy - checked the poles, none of which have any signs on but several have BT carved in to them with what look like dates. I think that's clear enough.

Alec